How much power to run SLI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pingpongmury

im looking on new egg to update my rig and was wondering how much power i'd need to run a BFG 8800GT OC2 and a 9800GT @ 635MHz on SLI on an ASUS M3A78-T motherboard with an AMD 5400 black at 3.2GHz

i currently have a Rosewill 550W PSU with 35a across the 12v rail... is it enough?

Yeh you won't run SLI with those 2 cards. And I'd be skeptical of running any SLI setup on a Rosewill PSU.

You need a good PSU to run SLI. You also need two of the same card to run SLI. However, you do not always need 600+ watts to run SLI.

I'm running 2 8800s in SLI on a 4 year old 460 watt power supply with no problems at all, because my power supply is a GOOD BRAND.

So first thing's first. Get a GOOD power supply. Then, if you have money left over, you can get a second video card for SLI. The power supply is the most important part. If the power supply is of low quality and you stress it too much, it might blow, and take your system with it. You wouldn't want that would you?

A Corsair 550VX would be more than enough power for you and can be found for around $75 after rebate at Newegg, although if you're into rebates, the 650TX can be had for about the same price with a rebate as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back