How safe is this program?

It's as safe as how you choose to use it. SysInternals was acquired by Microsoft a few years back because most of their apps were absolutely wonderful. Many of the features they included in their apps have since found their way into more modern Microsoft applications and OSes.

Give a shout if you have any questions about using this (or other sysinternal) tools. There are certainly many TS here users who have used them already and are happy to help :)

I sure will. I trust TS quite a bit. I'm trying to figure out if my Vista Home Premium has too many startups or ??? My firefox occasionally freezes up (Not Responding) for a few seconds so I might have Ts look at it. Thanks.

Perhaps Kim already mentioned this, but here's a starting tip for Autoruns. Given the sheer volume of entries you'll see plus for safety, start by selecting Options->Hide Microsoft Entries

> Reduces the volume of what you see
> It's pretty safe if you turn off (uncheck) any of the remaining (non-Microsoft) entries in the filtered display. You should still be able uncheck and turn it back on if you decide you want or need it

Well, lets see....I clicked File Save as & saved it in my Documents but when I look for it in when clicking Upload a file, I don't see it. Yet I see it in My Documents. Strange.
I've done it the way you told me, yet I can't see it in My Documents to upload it here.

Last edited:
Hi @learninmypc

My off-hand guess would be that your FF problem is more likely related to FF add-ons vs. your startups. Have you tried running FF with add-ons disabled?

As to your startups and Autoruns.. to get familiar with the tool (and startups)
> Only inspect the startups listed in the Logon tab
> Take a read through Bleeping Computer's Tutorial on Autoruns and Startups and use their Startup database to see if they're required, optional or best removed.

Try looking through the tutorial and looking Logon entries in the database. You can post any startups you're still unsure of or if you have any question re: startups/autoruns and the tutorial

Learnin'

You should check the startup database (I gave the link in my last post) for each Autorun entry under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. (I use that same startup database myself as a reference tool. It's good to start giving it a try ;) )

If the entry is in the database, it'll give you an indicator if startup entry is one you need to keep vs. which are optional vs which you can get rid of. Give me the list of startups you're unsure of and I'll give you my opinion.

Hi @learninmypc

First, I'd say be sure to only uncheck an entry you want to disable. DO NOT DELETE IT.
Unchecking disables the startup but you still have the option to change your mind if you want or need to in the future.

My comments
> Itunes helper. It seems to provide some support if you plug in an ipad or iphone( maybe just auto-open itunes for you? IDK) . I'd say, sure, uncheck it. But if itunes doesn't behave how you want you may to recheck it. (Note a reboot is needed for changes to take affect

Windows Defender - If you have other spyware prevention running and then don't need its functionality, OK to turn off

Windows Mail - Yea. uncheck

Google update - Hmmmm.. I know you run at least Google earth. If there's a manual way to check for updates (or at least turn it back on to get periodic updates) then ok to turn off

Some others:
> You probably don't need HotKeysCmds (unless you use Intel hot keys) or IgxTray (instead of a try icon you can simply go through Control Panel to run the Intel Graphics applet)

You can probably also turn off VAIORegistration and VAIOMyMemCenter. (The latter is used to support Sony's online backup service)

Ok & thanks. I disabled Windows Defender before this laptop became mine but I will double check on turning it off & disabling it totally.
I do have iTunes, but it is not a MUST HAVE. I only decided to try it for the screensavers, might uninstall it.
Will follow your directions later today & again, thanks. :)

@LookinAround , I've made some adjustments & hope for the best. Although I was sure I turned off/disabled Windows Defender, I now know it is off & disabled.
I'll see how things go this week & will go from there, thank you.:)

Back