TechSpot

How-To: A Beginner's Guide to the Linux Command Line, Part II

By Jos
Jul 14, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,765   +531

As useful as these articles are, they are also a good reminder of why most users don't like Linux, myself included.
    ypsylon and JC713 like this.
  2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,937   +1,473

@VitalyT, this doesn't look all that much different from MS's command-line in Windows. I don't see how anyone, can dislike one and not the other.

If you can use Linux without needing the command-line interface, then it would serve the same purpose as Windows command-line. I can understand where more experienced users, can benefit from command-line in both Windows and Linux.
  3. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,496   +304

I have tried to get on with Linux, I really have, I just like a GUI xD and the Commands in Linux are different to Microsoft's, I know plenty of commands on a Windows based computer to get myself around but once I'm in front of a Linux OS I don't get particularly far.

/sudo
  4. GreenArrow

GreenArrow TS Rookie

I know how to use Linux but love you guides, keep them coming they are awesome.
  5. GreenArrow

GreenArrow TS Rookie

6. Nice guide, keep them coming...
  7. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,932   +899

LMAO yeah... the guides are great but Linux is just so... eh.
  8. Warning: you'll start hating yourself for typing "ls" in the Windows command line all the time.
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  9. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,305   +265

That's why I always make an alias to dir called ls when I set up a new Windows machine.
  10. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Maniac Posts: 865   +21

I have a linux partition, but this reminds me of the mainframe days. Everything was command line, and they had what's called a full screen editor, spf-system productivity facility, which did some menu driven commands also. Sort of is like always going into the browser when booting the pc, altho the browser is actually more primative.

11. ypsylon

ypsylon TS Rookie Posts: 44   +6

Used linux for couple years. Returned to windows for few reasons. 2 of which were (a) domination of Windows (a lot of software used in my every day work is Windows only, there is no hope in hell of seeing other OS), (b) I've got pretty much sick and tired doing almost everything via command line. On that front difference between Win and Lin is as long as galaxy length. In everyday use even advanced Windows user don't need cmd line at all. Standard Lin user needs it every day, unless PC is turned off...

Working on various terminals. But there is vast difference between database terminal work (with basic Norton Commander-like interface) and running everything by hand from terminal because it won't start any other way. That's retarded.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.