How-To: A Beginner's Guide to the Linux Command Line, Part II

Jos

Staff
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/guides/844-linux-command-line-part-ii/]https://www.techspot.com/guides/844-linux-command-line-part-ii/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

@VitalyT, this doesn't look all that much different from MS's command-line in Windows. I don't see how anyone, can dislike one and not the other.

If you can use Linux without needing the command-line interface, then it would serve the same purpose as Windows command-line. I can understand where more experienced users, can benefit from command-line in both Windows and Linux.

I have tried to get on with Linux, I really have, I just like a GUI xD and the Commands in Linux are different to Microsoft's, I know plenty of commands on a Windows based computer to get myself around but once I'm in front of a Linux OS I don't get particularly far.

/sudo

That's why I always make an alias to dir called ls when I set up a new Windows machine.

I have a linux partition, but this reminds me of the mainframe days. Everything was command line, and they had what's called a full screen editor, spf-system productivity facility, which did some menu driven commands also. Sort of is like always going into the browser when booting the pc, altho the browser is actually more primative.

Used linux for couple years. Returned to windows for few reasons. 2 of which were (a) domination of Windows (a lot of software used in my every day work is Windows only, there is no hope in hell of seeing other OS), (b) I've got pretty much sick and tired doing almost everything via command line. On that front difference between Win and Lin is as long as galaxy length. In everyday use even advanced Windows user don't need cmd line at all. Standard Lin user needs it every day, unless PC is turned off...

Working on various terminals. But there is vast difference between database terminal work (with basic Norton Commander-like interface) and running everything by hand from terminal because it won't start any other way. That's retarded.

I's love to like linux. There are to many variants and even copying files is a major event

That's why I always make an alias to dir called ls when I set up a new Windows machine.
Yeah, I too started that way, but as you move from one system to another, your aliases aren't there and confusion reigns. If you're going to learn, dive into the deep end of the pool and "just get'r done"

Back