How to Boost Your Router Security

learninmypc

These tips will help you keep your personal data safe

When it comes to safeguarding your personal data, there may be no more important piece of tech than your humble router.

Because these devices transmit all the data that flows in and out of your home, including email and credit card information, routers have long been a favorite target for hackers. FULL ARTICLE

Your article is quite sound - - except
Install Antivirus Software
Antivirus software can protect your router—and by extension all devices connected to it—by identifying malicious software used to collect and encrypt the personal data on a computer, rendering it useless.
Todate, I've not found an AV that runs inside a router nor one specifically designed to "protect the router".

The suggestions for disabling UPnP and Remote Management are spot on and selecting a complex password is just plain mandatory.

I should also note, that there are routers with built-in firewall software, and conceptually this is attractive in that one FW protects the entire LAN.

However, I would not like my router being updated daily (at any hour) and there are complications for how you treat different systems -- eg: one might have shares for everyone while another might be business oriented and need to avoid shares altogether.

Just me and my OCD.

Thanks for the information but we can boost router security by upgrade router firmware or if router can support DD-WRT firmware then must upgrade and configure open VPN.

Thanks for the information but we can boost router security by upgrade router firmware or if router can support DD-WRT firmware then must upgrade and configure open VPN.

1. Not aware of any additional security feature(s) of DD-WRT and it & Tomato are applicable to few brand names
  2. as new day-1 from the box, ALL routers should look for updated firmware
I did find mention of
Unrestricted access to the internal system logs and the ability to store them for easier troubleshooting and security audits
but that's really no enhancement to security itself.

Netgear can be configured to email the logs to you :)

Back