How to boot Win XP DVD on Startup on MS5182? F8 Won't Work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I'm currently trying to install Windows XP to a MS5182 mobo computer, i've put a DVD reader in it to see the Windows XP Disk, which when in its current OS Windows ME) it see and loads the disk no problem.

However on boot up, I press F8 to boot the disk and nothing happens. It also doesn't ask me to 'Press any key' to boot from DVD.

Is there a special key combination or a floppy boot disk image I need to download in order to boot from the DVD?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
John

Did you change the boot order in the BIOS?

Usually, as soon as you switch on the PC, you should see a screen asking to press F1 or F2 or whichever key to Enter Setup. Once you're in, you should see under general options or advanced options, something referring to Boot Sequence or the likes. Just make CD/DVD your 1st boot device. Then, save and exit.

Upon reboot, it will ask you to Press Any key to boot from CD/DVD...

My disclaimer:
NOTE that you have to be careful when handling BIOS options. Incorrect settings can damage your motherboard, or its components. Changing boot options isn't usually harmful (I've never seen any damage happen that way), but if you really don't know what you're doing, get someone who knows to do it for you.

Yes I changed the boot order to 1. CDROM 2. HDD 3. FLOPPY

I dont get any messeges about booting from the windows disk.

Is there a Floppy boot disk I can download which will let me boot from the DVD Drive?

Thanks,
John

You can find boot disk setup files for your version of Windows on Microsoft's website (Downloads section), but mind you they are very very specific to the version of Windows you carry.

Check the boot disks that you create on a virtual machine (MS Virtual PC or Virtual Box) or a spare machine to test it out before using it "live", though. Just to be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back