How to build a large storage network such as RapidShare or MegaUpload?

By Domingore
Feb 28, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. I want to build a large network, I will start with 50TB will upgrade later on, what storage system do I need and what connection do I need. please provide me with links and Ref. which data centre do you prefer in the UK/Manchester, how many servers and routers, if you have an idea please design me a network.
  2. AtK SpAdE

AtK SpAdE TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,846

This is sort of a big task to plan on a forum...
  3. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] I'm a TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,257   +110

IMO if you don't know what you're doing, then you really can't.
    You also have to provide more info; how often are you doing backups...what you're even planning on using this for.
  4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,029   +222

hmm; in other words, do your work for you but you get paid for it :lol:
    At least you got an idea for the order of magnitude - - mutliple servers and a large network.

You need to do a transactional analysis of every database transaction;
    how many accesses and which types {insert, update, delete} of accesses are needed,

multiply by the transactions per second expected yields DB actions per second.

This is almost always 2-3 times any webserver hit counts per second.

If none of the above makes any sense to you, PUNT on the assignment and ask for help from the project leader.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.