How to check for programs consuming to much bandwidth.

By convict11
Nov 6, 2005
  1. Anyway, I have 3 computers at home all connected to a router, lately the internet has been spiking and pings have been hoping fron 70-400 at almost any given time. I called my isp and he said that everything looks fine and that it is most likely a virus or one of the types of programs that download music, which it isn't that because I do not have a music program that is active. I have tried sysmetrix but it does not say anything is being used. Is there any other possible errors?
  2. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,404

Have you tried running a few anti-spyware programs to clean out your system, and also what kind of anti-virus software do you have? Have you scanned for viruses lately?

If you really want to completely clean up your system, follow the steps in this thread here:
  3. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,018

be aware that some programs, even when not in use,have spyware on them to run services that allow communication back to vender.
    I know that media player even when it is closed will still try and connect to MS
    most of the newer softwares out there do a licinse check
    in background
    if you can afford it ,after you make sure you have no trojuns on machine,get a good firewall like outpost or sygate,<--this ones free for now.
    using these tools I have found some interesting communication going on
  4. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

Well, Windows has at least netstat for checking networking activity.

Open command prompt and type netstat -bn to see a quick list of applications with network connections. Exclude the n parameter to see the IP addresses in human-readable form.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.