How to check graphiccard temperature?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demiurg

I have a Geforce 2 Ti 64 DDR, have switched to Detonators and am experimenting with Geforce Tweak Utility. I'd like to check the graphiccprocessor temperature to see what difference overclocking does. But how do I check the temp? Any prog or what? Thanks in advance for tips.

(BTW. I got an amazing 34% increase in framerates in UT/OpenGL by tweaking settings and overclocking the card just a little bit.)

Unless your graphics card has an onboard probe, I don't think there is a way to check it without putting a probe near the graphics card.

What company made your card??? Some companies have software bundled with their cards to measure heat.

I could be wrong, but that is what I think. Do a google search and see if you can find anything about your card and temperature measurements.

Just to add to what Cheetah has said, some mobos (the one that comes to mind is MSI 815 EPT Pro) have an extra heat sensor socket which comes with a thermistor. Perhaps you can try that as well.

OK. I have a Prolink - no software for checking temp came with it. I have a MSI motherboard K7T266 Pro2 - but even if it has an extra heat sensor, does it help me to check the GPU?

On another note: is heat a problem if I only overclock the card slightly? I've upped the processorclock frequency from 250 to 260 (4%) and the memoryclock from 401 to 410 (2,2 %). It's very stable, but I don't want to fry my GPU. (i.e. my question is: Is the increased temperature a main problem or should I look out for graphic irregularities and crashes/instability in the first hand?)

Thanks for the replies!

Originally posted by Demiurg

On another note: is heat a problem if I only overclock the card slightly? I've upped the processorclock frequency from 250 to 260 (4%) and the memoryclock from 401 to 410 (2,2 %). It's very stable, but I don't want to fry my GPU.

I doubt it if it's only a slight overclock. I overclocked my GeForce 2 Pro from 200 to 225 and 400 to 450 without any problems. This little of an overclock is doubtful to fry your GPU, but you have to realize that your taking the risk. If its worth it to you then I say go for it. :)

And to comment on the heat sensor, it depends where the heat sensor is. I don't know of many mobos (besides the one lokem mentioned) that have built in temperature monitors for graphics cards. After checking on MSI's website it doesn't look too promising that your mobo has a temperature monitor, at least I don't see it yet.

Its impossible for a motherboard to have a temp sensor for a video card. There is no way to gauge a temperature of the gpu through an AGP slot. You need to have a sensor on the gpu in order to get an accurate temp reading.

I could be wrong but I just have never seen any technology such as the one Lokem spoke of above. If it is accurate and reliable then that could be a reason to buy that motherboard. I know ASUS GF4 cards are shipping with temp monitoring software. This is one of the reasons why Im thinking that you need to have the vid card tell you what the temp is of itself not the motherboard.

I'm with svtcobra on this on. I too haven't heard of any motherboards having graphics monitoring hardware. I think the Leadtek GeForce 3's have some kind of software temperature monitoring, and Asus and Gainward have versions with software monitoring.

my way is not the most scientific but i just feal the waterblock (probly a Heatsink/fan combo for you) if it is realy warm the be warry but if it is only moderatly warm you should be fine as long as there is a good thermal contact

Thanks for all the answers. I'll have it running at 260/410 I think. It does wonders somehow, not only to the fps but to the loading of levels in UT as well - it's like SNAP! ;)

Good Luck with those speeds. Man, that pretty high. I hope that it can handle it without any major issues.

Originally posted by svtcobra
Good Luck with those speeds. Man, that pretty high. I hope that it can handle it without any major issues.

Ouch! So you think it's high? 250@260 & 401@410? Maybe I should tune it down to 255/405? Or?

I would start low and slowly progress up until you get visual artifacts. Use 3Dmark2001se as a benchmark. Visual artifacts are going to be lines in the screen, it almost looks like black rain.

I wouldnt go to high..Its not worth the extra couple of frames to burn up your card in 6 mos.

OK. I have a Prolink - no software for checking temp came with it. I have a MSI motherboard K7T266 Pro2 - but even if it has an extra heat sensor, does it help me to check the GPU?

Yes it does. You can attach the extra heat sensor to your vid card chip and get an approx reading from there.

Originally posted by lokem

Yes it does. You can attach the extra heat sensor to your vid card chip and get an approx reading from there.

thats cool..I am surprised the feature is available on some boards.

thats cool..I am surprised the feature is available on some boards.

Same feeling I got when I opened the MSI mobo I bought a few months back. Was wondering what an extra metal piece was doing there in the package ;) Too bad I didn't manage to use it as I sold it off to my friend for an EPOX 8KHA+ :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back