How to connect firewire to motherboard

By mhall
Aug 7, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have an eMachine (T3304) which did not come with a 1394 (firewire) connection, on either of the front or back IO panels. I bought a DV camera and want to transfer movies to my computer. I found an eMachines 2 Audio 1-1394 2-USB Front I/O Panel, PN 103566 on the WEB which I would like to install in place of the current (audio only) front IO panel. I also found out that I have a K8MC51G motherboard which the specs say has a VIA 6307L IEEE-1394a Controller but the board diagram does not show any firewire connector. Can anyone tell me where on the motherboard I would be connecting the cable from the firewire connector on the new front IO panel.
  2. raybay

raybay TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Buy a VIA brand combo card on eBay with three firewire and two USB 2.0 ports. Fits in a PCi slot, and works every time... We have so far purchased 30 of them, none over $14, and all are still working just fine.
  3. mhall

mhall Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thanks for the advice.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.