How to create a network connection with my PC and laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterproof

I want to transfer big files from my laptop to my pc, I'm not sure how to, i use to do networking via using XP but Vista is totally different from what I have tried, which I couldn't do. I tried to connect but my PC internet connection then disconnects for some reason, I tried to map drive but that didnt work, created files and changed to viewing public but doesnt work (if the computer both have same name would it effect sharing?) Anyone know how to do it? I have a Ethernet switch going between the 2 computers to share internet connection from my broadband modem, both use the ethernet cable. Anyway its both running on Vista 32 bit.

Much appreciated if anybody could help me out :)

Have you tried the free FileZilla? or other FTP (File Transfer Protocol). They work pretty well, and can be setup on a USB cable if there are just two machines.

u jst need to make sure ur network is running and right click and share the folders that u want to share....if for some odd reason the other pc does not show up in ur laptop or viceversa, u can try typping \\PCNAME or \\ipaddress in the address bar of windows explorer

hope it helps

For some reason my laptop can't view Properties of Local Area Network and Internet Protocol Version and enter IP, Gateway,DNS etc.

but my PC can

any help?

For some reason my laptop can't view Properties of Local Area Network and Internet Protocol Version and enter IP, Gateway,DNS etc.

but my PC can

any help?
Vista forces you into UAC controlled access so you need to get ADMIN login to setup the lan.
Once there, set AUTO for both IP and DNS on the tcp properties.
Then use the Network Wizard to create the connection; be sure to enable PRIVATE and not the PUBLIC option.

Vista forces you into UAC controlled access so you need to get ADMIN login to setup the lan.
Once there, set AUTO for both IP and DNS on the tcp properties.
Then use the Network Wizard to create the connection; be sure to enable PRIVATE and not the PUBLIC option.

I have admin login, and I also have UAC turned off, its just that I could not go through tcp properties on my laptop, as to my PC which can, which both settings are the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back