TechSpot

How to create a new column using data of other columns in Microsoft Access

By Fantasizer
Apr 11, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. I have a database which has about 60000 rows and 3 columns.
    Here I have made a picture to show what exactly I want, this picture represent a general view of my data structure and also represent what I want.
    [​IMG]
    I have 3 first columns (from left) and I want to create a new column like the last one which named New Text.
    As you see I want to create a column which duplicate the Text of every row for X times. And X is the frequency of repeated number in Number ID 2.

For example: In Number ID 2, 8 repeated four times. So New Text should have four H. (H represent the text)

Please consider this to be done by Microsoft Access software, which I have no experience of working with.

Attached Files:

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 8,946   +586

will take TWO updates.

1) a transaction to ADD Column "New Text"; commit

2) another to UPDATE "New Text" where "Number ID 2" equals "Number ID 1" value is TEXT;

(or something close to that - - it's be a while since I last used SQL grammar.

3. Fantasizer

Fantasizer TS Rookie Topic Starter

Bro, you might say which button, in which menu I have to press. I totally new to Microsoft Access.
    But I got your concept, just say how to make a transaction.

4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 8,946   +586

NEVER use MS Access; just raw SQL, so maybe someone can get to the
    procedure on Access for you - - sorry