TechSpot

How to create a new column using data of other columns in Microsoft Access

By Fantasizer
Apr 11, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. I have a database which has about 60000 rows and 3 columns.
    Here I have made a picture to show what exactly I want, this picture represent a general view of my data structure and also represent what I want.
    [​IMG]
    I have 3 first columns (from left) and I want to create a new column like the last one which named New Text.
    As you see I want to create a column which duplicate the Text of every row for X times. And X is the frequency of repeated number in Number ID 2.

For example: In Number ID 2, 8 repeated four times. So New Text should have four H. (H represent the text)

Please consider this to be done by Microsoft Access software, which I have no experience of working with.

Attached Files:

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,474   +329

will take TWO updates.

1) a transaction to ADD Column "New Text"; commit

2) another to UPDATE "New Text" where "Number ID 2" equals "Number ID 1" value is TEXT;

(or something close to that - - it's be a while since I last used SQL grammar.

3. Fantasizer

Fantasizer TS Rookie Topic Starter

Bro, you might say which button, in which menu I have to press. I totally new to Microsoft Access.
    But I got your concept, just say how to make a transaction.

4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,474   +329

NEVER use MS Access; just raw SQL, so maybe someone can get to the
    procedure on Access for you - - sorry

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.