How to create a webdrive that I can access from anywhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

pioneerx01

Hello,

I am trying to create a drive somewhere on the web, that I can access it anywhere in the world using my laptop. Just like any additional computer hard drive, but on a web.

Thanks

Wow. Tell us more about how you envision this working.

Well, I tried to keep it short and simple as people do not like to read.

Lets say I have lot of data (+/-100GB) that I want to keep on the server somewhere, so I can access it form any computer that has a share drive (network drive) set up with that server; anywhere in the world with internet connection.
I am not looking to buy a physical server that sits in my office. I need it to be hosted by someone else (like 1and1, or godaddy).

I have a 1and1 account, that I use for my websites. I have it linked as network drive, and I have some pictures on it. However this drive does not act like a standard hard drive. When I open pictures via Photoshop that are on the network drive (1and1) and save them it does not do it, same with any other data.

I need a web drive that acts like any other physical drive on my PC.

Those services are generally available... there are bout 50 companies that have backups online, and no matter where you are, you can connect via Verizon... or others...
And execept for Verizone, the costs are very reasonable.

I am not looking for online backup. I am looking for web based share drive for me and my employees. I (we) will be using software such as Quick Books and ACT, on daily bases from multiple locations using our laptops. Quick Books and ACT use database as backbone and that will be stored on the web drive. Along with other spreadsheets, data,...

You can probably build a linux box to do this, and if you have a nice connection it would work fine.

Commercially there is DropBox, www.getdropbox.com, its only free for 2 gigs though. An advantage though is it works on Windows, Linux, OS X, and is accessible online.

Google NAS devices. These get an IP assignment just like a system or router does.

This works well for local LAN solutions; Storage that is not directly attached to any system and runs independently.

For Internet access, you then go through the process of
  1. getting a domain name + a static IP address
  2. get your ISP to host your domain name and route it to a server in your office
  3. you then need to resolve issues like
    • security
    • access controls
    • backups
and of course, you should use a UPS to protect the NAS device(s)

See, I did not think of NAS. I know what they do, but it never dawned on me. Now I never had a NAS, so I can not effectively answer this question:

Can I split the NAS into 3 drives each with its own static IP?

I don't think so. Many NAS drives are RAID-1 (Mirrored) which would be a good idea.
HOWEVER, WHY the partitioning? Do you see this as a means of a) controlling users or
b) segragation of data by some criteria? Normally we can get either of these by using
directories + the NTFS permission system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back