How to disable a startup item in msconfig?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirei Blossom

Hello,

I noticed that ImationFlashDetect.exe was running as a process, and found out that its listed in the Startup tab of msconfig. (I have windows xp). I don't want it to be running, so how can I disable it?

I tried to uncheck the box and it told me to restart, but then on restart it said that it was running in Diagnostic and Selective mode. Is there any way to run it in Normal mode and still remove Imation from the startup tab?

Start> Run> type in 'msconfig' without quotes> enter> Selective Startup> Startup tab> UNCHECK the process> Apply> OK

Reboot> Close the nag message that comes up after checking 'don't show this message again'.

You must remain in Selective Startup after making the change. If you do not, Startup will revert back to before the change. The message is simply telling you that Selective Startup is a 'diagnostic mode' and many don't realize it can be retained.

My systems have been in Selective Startup since the first day I got them- after unchecking all the unnecessary items on the Startup menu. "All" you need on Startup is the AV program, firewall, touchpad if laptop and network process if on network. Some security suites are also set to run at Startup. But nothing else needs to be checked.

thank you.

so it's okay to uncheck things like: Adobe Gamma loader, adobe reader speed launch, adobe reader synchronizer, qttask, Microsoft Office ? (why does ms office need to start up at startup anyway?)

You can download Msconfig Cleanup

To remove the disabled entries and STOP the diagnostic all together

ie from running this tool
And then re-running MSCONFIG, it will then say NORMAL (but the old disabled entries will be gone!)

The quick launch for Office/Adobe etc can be removed too, you do not need these things to start with Windows
Actually I have nothing starting with Windows (that is I have ZERO things starting with Windows)
I then manually start what I want (including AntiVirus) By the way I'm not recommending you disable your Antivirus from starting with Windows, just informing you, that all these startups are not required for Windows to function Normally.

Another point. I don't use MSCONFIG, I use Startup Control Panel (it's a personal choice, that I personnally feel is better than msconfig)

(why does ms office need to start up at startup anyway?)
Basically every program will put themselves on Startup and any program you download and install will do the same unless you use a Custom install. It just the way it goes. Many don't realize this or know they can stop them from starting at boot and running in the background. The 'nag' message confuses many into going back into Normal Mode, undoing the changes they just made.

None of those programs you mentioned need to start at boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back