How to erase Ubuntu partition while leaving Windows as it is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

narlina

hi
last few weeks i've installed kubuntu on my pc. however it caused me several problems, and now i'm thinkin of not using it. how do i erase the partitions but at the same time leave my windows as it is?

What version of windows are you using? You should simply be able to format the partition from within windows safely using Disc Management or even easier just open up my computer and right click on the partition and click format.

i have both 32bitXP and 64bitXP, im using the 64bit one as my main OS.

so it is safe for me to just format the partition by formatting it from my computer?

i don't think that will work if you have grub loaded. You may have to do some startup repair work if you do it that way.

Are you using a boot-loader program that allows you to switch between OSs when your computer is starting up? However you did say that you have both 32bit and 64bit installed which means you will still need this application, that is if you have such an app. Knowing this would be helpful to proceed.

You do need to tread very carefully, if you just remove the Linux partition, you will also remove GRUB, at which point the machine won't boot into either OS. Plus, Windows doesn't recognize the Linux partition.

You might find some more knowledgeable assistance at one of the Linux sites.

Try running "fixmbr" or "fixboot"from the recovery console.

You can just delete it from within Windows, Grub probably won't work right if at all after that, but then you just boot from the XP disk and do the fixmbr thing and all is well.

After deleting, create a new partition there so you can get that hd space back.

Pretty what has been mentioned above.

1) Delete/format the ubuntu partition (However you want, either from within windows or bootdisk)
2) Insert the XP boot disk, press R to go to recovery
3) in the console, do a /fixmbr

It should reinstall the xp boot loader. Of course, this is assuming that you had windows installed and just installed kubuntu overtop and had it overwrite the boot loader with GRUB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back