TechSpot

How to fix broken usb port help please

By loanstar744
Aug 6, 2008
  1. i have a older dell laptop with the old style usb port on it and my dad broke it by putting a gps navigator in it.one of the metal prongs broke and i dont know how to fix it and i just got an ipod nano but i cant put anything on it because of the usb port.can someone help me?

2. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

It's hard to really assess without getting a visual of it.

The easy way out is going to be buying a PCMCIA card (it fits into the PC card slot on the side) to add more USB ports. You can definitely find them for under $15.

Another concern is - I can only think of ONE Dell laptop that only had 1 USB port and came with Windows 2000 or XP. The others I've seen came with Windows 98 or Me. Just a heads up: If you aren't running Windows 2000 or XP, then that will be your biggest concern since iTunes will not run on Windows 98/Me.

3. loanstar744

loanstar744 TS Rookie Topic Starter

thats what i was thinking of but what store do u think i should go to to buy one?

btw thanks for the help :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.