TechSpot

How to format laptop c: drive.

By Kalyan.Kumar
Sep 3, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi,

I need some help in formating my laptop c: drive.
    When I bought they have given me only c: drive with 160 gb space and d: drives as backup . Now i wanted to split into to more drives how can i do that now?

Laptop: Dell XPS

can any one of you help me in this?
  2. DjKraid

DjKraid TS Maniac Posts: 631   +14

hi

You have to get an windows installation cd and when you boot from it you can schoos on what hdd you want to install windows...there you can delete partitions and create more of them... first you have to delete the c drive and after that you can make more of them...
  3. Kalyan.Kumar

Kalyan.Kumar TS Rookie Topic Starter

4. Kalyan.Kumar

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I dont have cd but have back up in d drive.

how to do that?
  5. DjKraid

DjKraid TS Maniac Posts: 631   +14

hmm....i'm not sure, have never got it to work that way :/ if i'm right then the d drive is just an "restore drive"...

i had a Fujitsu Siemens computer once with a protected restore drive (D:) and when my windows got too slow i tried to install it again from the d drive but it didn't work...so i deleted it....and downloaded windows xp pro sp2 (Winborg v5.0 from IsoHunt.com)

but i suggest you go to the manufactures pages and look for a "readme" or something...
  6. Kalyan.Kumar

Thx for the reply. Will check from my side too...
  7. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Have a look at Gparted Live boot CD (it's free)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.