how to get new ram

By oouutt
Oct 27, 2007
  1. how do i get new ram and how much would it cost and what would i need for my situation (how much ram).
  2. Chamleon

Chamleon TS Rookie

here's what you need to do to find out the kind of RAM your system takes...

there are 2 ways:
    1) open the system up and take out the RAM itself and look on the lable it should say what type of RAM it is (ex. 1GB DDR2 PC-5300)

2) if your not comfortable opening your system just yet download and install Belarc Advisor. run the program and it will have a section that tells you exactly what type of memory is in your system.

after you find out what type of memery you have its just a matter of goin to bestbuy or any other store that sells computer components or go online to sights like and buy the RAM..

To determine how much RAM you need i would say a minimum for running a windows xp system is 1gb if your a big gamer or do alot of photo editing with programs like photoshop or paintshop pro you should get atleast 2gb of RAM..

most 1gb sticks cost between $40-$150 depending on the brand

well hope this helped....
  3. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 3,814

Go to and have their system tell you what ram you have and what your system will take then use that info to find ram at a better price.
    If you wish to add ram along with what you already have then it MUST be an exact match.
  4. TimeParadoX

TimeParadoX TS Rookie Posts: 2,273

It would be wise to trust this...

When I 1st started switching parts out with my computers, I accidently got the wrong speed for the RAM and I literally melted the RAM slot, burnt my finger and the stick got so hot it fried :|
  5. samjohnson

samjohnson TS Maniac Posts: 238

Ouch that must have sucked TimeParadox. :D
    Oh well you live and learn.
    Ok as for the new ram, once you have found out what type your computer needs I suggest checking out for the ram. I have found that they usually have some of the cheapest prices and they also carry the best brands you can get. Good luck on the search.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.