How to identify the process spawned by an application

ravisunny2

[FONT=Calibri]My ISP takes me to his homepage whenever I connect to the internet.[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]This is an annoyance.[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]There seems to be no setting to circumvent this automatic opening of the Home Page.[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]Is there an easy way to identify what process is being launched when I start the app.exe of the ISP?[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]That way I could use taskill to terminate the process that takes me to the home page.[/FONT]

Are you saying that if you make www.google.com your home page, you're forced to the ISP page instead?

That should be a browser problem -- or your anti-virus proxy is interferring.

[FONT=Calibri]Hi Jobeard,[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri] [/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]Thanks for your response.[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri] [/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]I have set IE8 Home Page about:blank, I.e. Use Blank.[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]When I fire up IE8, it takes me to exactly that about:blank.[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]I have recently subscribed to a new ISP.[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]When I connect to the internet using this new ISP, I am automatically taken to its Home Page.[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]This is inbuilt into the ISP’s app.exe (that connects me to the internet).[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]Some people may find that convenient, but for me it is an unwanted and unwarranted event.[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]This is not a redirection or virus issue.[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]I don’t want to hack the app.exe.[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]I want to identify the process that app.exe fires up to take me to their Home Page, and terminate the process.[/FONT]

Today, using an APP.EXE to get access to the net is unusual, unless you are dialing your connection.
Cable, Satellite, and DSL just don't need that app. Most newer systems don't either, as the computer can
do the dialing for you.

So, what is the ISP, the url it is forcing and is your connection a dial-up?

[FONT=Calibri]ISP: MTS (ZTE Corporation India)[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]URL: [/FONT][FONT=Calibri]http://mblaze.websiteforever.com/dashboard120706/index.jsp[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]The ISP provides internet access via a USB Dongle.[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]When I first used the dongle, there was an automatic installation of drivers, and a desktop shortcut was created.[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]During installation this folder is created C:\Program Files\MBlaze UI[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]This shortcut starts an application app.exe resident in C:\Program Files\MBlaze UI\bin.[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]One of the options is to connect to the internet.[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]From the online help of this ISP, I also have this information:[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]Note[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman]:[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]1.The default [/FONT][FONT=Calibri]network[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman] setup parameters are as below. Different regions may have different network setup parameters, so please consult your local telecom operator.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]2."Check my phone number" and "[/FONT][FONT=Calibri]Check[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman] my balance" functions can be used only when 1X or Hybrid mode is selected in network settings.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]3. During the connection to the network, the users can't change mode 1X/Broadband/Hybrid.[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]Phone: #777[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]User: internet@internet.mtsindia.in[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]Password: MTS[/FONT]

I think you are taking the wrong approach, but this tool will show process parent->child relationships
when run as ADMIN - - just keep clicking on the column named PROCESS until you get the tree.

That USB Dongle is accessing a Satellite or a Cell Phone provider.

Yes, the internet acces is being provided by a Cell Phone provider (probably riding piggy back on BSNL).

Thank you for the link.

What would you suggest as the correct approach?

Using ProcessExplorer this is what came up:

0)

Path:
-----
C:\Program Files\MBlaze UI\bin\App.exe

Command line:
-------------
"C:\Program Files\MBlaze UI\bin\App.exe"

Current Directory:
-----------------
C:\Program Files\MBlaze UI\bin\

Autostart Location:
------------------
n/a

Parent:
-------
explorer.exe(1952)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
1)

Path:
-----
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Command line:
-------------
"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" -nohome

Current Directory:
-----------------
C:\Documents and Settings\Ravindra K. Banthia\Desktop\

Autostart Location:
------------------
n/a

Parent:
-------
App.exe(3204)

-----------------------------------------------------------------
2)

Path:
-----
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Command line:
-------------
"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" SCODEF:3536 CREDAT:79873

Current Directory:
-----------------
C:\Documents and Settings\Ravindra K. Banthia\Desktop\

Autostart Location:
------------------
n/a

Parent:
-------
iexplore.exe(3536)

that's why this is the wrong approach :sigh:

What you're after is
cell-tower- - cell phone connection - - pc browsing

Many cell phones will do this, even my non-smart phone Nokia 6350. Your Dongle is acting just like
a cell phone. Recommend this link for ideas.

Of course, the do nothing, zero effort solution is to just ignore the issue, smile and move forward :)

I see your point, and I might as well grin and bear it.:)

Yes, the dongle as acting as a cell phone, but it does give me internet connectivity.

The main ISP here is BSNL, and it generally provides a decent enough service.

However, there are times when the BSNL servers get afflicted by some unknown ailment, leaving us high & dry.

Hence the need for another access to the net.

BTW, the bandwith of the MTS dongle is good enough, though not the 3.1Mbps as advertised. I get a bandwidth between 0.5 to 1.0 Mbps.

Also the automatic routing to the MTS site is only done at initiation of the connection.

I just close the MTS site, and proceed with my browsing in the normal fashion.

Back