How to improve FPS with software?

OldPcNoMoney

I'm new at this forum thingy so please be patient if i'm not perfect.

Okey, so my problem: I have an old computer, and i like to play games. You might already se my problem here, but is there any way at all i can improve my FPS and gaming experiance through software?? I'm not the brightest person with computers but i'm certanly not the dumbest either. So if anyone have any clues at all. Please help =)

CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) processor 64 3500+
Graphic card: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE
(not that i know what these numbers are for)

(Quick replies will be appreciated since I'm heading for a big LAN this wednesday)

My quick answer to your specific question about software, is that I’ve heard of Gamebooster. However, I haven’t tried it and moreover I don’t expect it to perform miracles, but it’s free.

http://games.softpedia.com/get/Tools/Game-Booster.shtml

If you are prepared to take direct action yourself, you can do the following:

Shut down all background programs while gaming.

Reduce screen resolution.

In the advanced controls of your graphics driver there should be a slider that goes from performance to quality. Set it towards max performance.

Update your graphics card driver to the latest version which is often faster.

This will test your existing system. Download the free edition build 1.3.0 (the third one down the page) the post back the results. Have you tried reducing the resolution?

*not allowed to post links yet*

Please add what RAM you have.

I downloaded the 3. thingy on the page, and i got 3DMark05 Free Edition.. i dont really understand much of it tho.

1GB RAM

My quick answer to your specific question about software, is that I’ve heard of Gamebooster. However, I haven’t tried it and moreover I don’t expect it to perform miracles, but it’s free.

*not allowed to post links*

If you are prepared to take direct action yourself, you can do the following:

Shut down all background programs while gaming.

Reduce screen resolution.

In the advanced controls of your graphics driver there should be a slider that goes from performance to quality. Set it towards max performance.

Update your graphics card driver to the latest version which is often faster.

I do that already. (You se my computer is quite bad) I really miss out allot when on LAN's while they play games who needs better computer than mine. Still i run Leage Of Legends (the game i usually play on LAN) on 04-31 FPS its very annoing that it is so unstable. usually around 20 but it goes many times down to 15 and 10 and the when my computer's pleased it goes up to 30 (very few times)

I have not tried the link thingy still tho. I'm going to check it out when i have time, right now i'm trying the other link the prev guy sendt me

Processor
ProcessorAMD Athlon 64 3500+
Processor clock2101 MHz
Physical / logical processors1 / 1
# of cores1
Graphics Card
Graphics CardNVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE
# of cards1
SLI / CrossFire Off
Memory0 MB
Core clock0 MHz
Memory clock0 MHz
Driver nameNVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE
Driver version6.14.12.6658
Driver status FM Approved
General
Operating system32-bit Microsoft Windows XP (5.1.2600)
MotherboardASUSTek Computer INC. NODUSM3
Memory1024 MB
Module 1
512 MB Micron Technology DDR2 @ 266 MHz
Module 2
512 MB Micron Technology DDR2 @ 266 MHz
Detailed scores
3DMark Score1547.0 3DMarks
GT1 - Return To Proxycon7.26 FPS
GT2 - Firefly Forest4.98 FPS
GT3 - Canyon Flight6.56 FPS
CPU Score3707.0 CPUMarks
CPU Test 11.86 FPS
CPU Test 23.28 FPS
Fill Rate - Single-TexturingN/A
Fill Rate - Multi-TexturingN/A
Pixel ShaderN/A
Vertex Shader - SimpleN/A
Vertex Shader - ComplexN/A
8 TrianglesN/A
32 TrianglesN/A
128 TrianglesN/A
512 TrianglesN/A
2048 TrianglesN/A
32768 TrianglesN/A
Settings
Default settings used Yes
Width1024
Height768
Anti-AliasingNone
Texture FilteringOptimal
VS Profile3_0
PS Profile3_0
Force Full PrecisionNo
Disable DSTNo
Disable Post-ProcessingNo
Force Software Vertex ShaderNo
Color MipmapsNo
Repeat TestsOff
Fixed FramerateOff

Results after the 3DMark test

While watching the FPS was highest at the first movie it crawled itself to 10 FPS 1 time, the rest of the time it was fram 1-6 basicly

I think your main problem here is with the amount of RAM at only 1GB. You could consider upgrading to 3 or 4GB to increase performance. XP supports to a max of 4GB so any more would be of no use.

If you hit Ctrl+Alt+Del during a game the task manager will most likely show that your RAM is at max.

I think your main problem here is with the amount of RAM at only 1GB. You could consider upgrading to 3 or 4GB to increase performance. XP supports to a max of 4GB so any more would be of no use.

If you hit Ctrl+Alt+Del during a game the task manager will most likely show that your RAM is at max.

sounds easy enough, how much for 1 gb ca? Do i have to watch out for different types of RAM cards?
You say xp only can have 4 gb, wahts the reason? also i have 4 slots alongside eachother 2 are blue (where i got my present RAM cards) and 2 are black. Is there any difference ?

A ram upgrade won't do much. You couldn't even max HL2 EP1 on a system like his. Not to be insulting.

A full upgrade would be the only way to get good gaming performance. Gamebooster is garbage.

You would need to refer to your mobo specifications or just get a stick that matches the existing one. And yes there are different types. I have no idea how much it will cost in your country.

A ram upgrade won't do much. You couldn't even max HL2 EP1 on a system like his. Not to be insulting.

A full upgrade would be the only way to get good gaming performance. Gamebooster is garbage.

hey i have actually played through HL 2 :D xD and i've played Crysis on this system ( abit problematick with smoke) but else i actually enjoed it. But later on the thing have just started to fail more and more

just to go a little "off topic" while i got you here, does anyone know why my graphic card is failing? The problem is that if i want to change resolution i always have to rebot my computer, and sometimes if i change the resolution in game the resolution will sometimes be the same after i've ended the game... Failiour computer xD

Still if anoyone know good answers to enhance FPS i'm glad for replies

Now i got 1 gb more ram and the game runs at 30 fps more or less all the time, thanks for your help =)

sounds easy enough, how much for 1 gb ca? Do i have to watch out for different types of RAM cards?
You say xp only can have 4 gb, wahts the reason? also i have 4 slots alongside eachother 2 are blue (where i got my present RAM cards) and 2 are black. Is there any difference ?

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-difference-between-a-32-bit-and-64-bit-operating-system.htm said:
There are also some significant mathematical limits to the two different types of processor. A 32-bit processor can only work with a maximum of 4GB of memory, and this is usually limited to 2GB for any one program. A 64-bit processor could theoretically work with 17 billion GB of memory. A 64-bit processor can also carry out some tasks twice as quickly.

The memory limitations of a 32-bit processor started to become clear with Vista, which uses a large amount of memory and can make it difficult to run multiple programs at once without using up even a full 4GB of memory. Meanwhile, it once seemed impossible that any one program would need more than 2GB of memory, but some modern video games have hit that limit.

Back