TechSpot

How to install XP if there are error copying messages during installation

By Mojam
Jul 21, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have 2 Spare Compaq deskpros. One of them has been giving me problems for some time now. The other works as smooth as ever. I decided to take a 30gb Maxtor fireball, format it then install XP onto it from the PC that has been giving me problems. It starts up installing fine until the part where it starts copying files. It starts giving problems by about 27% or while it is copying "Drivers.cab". It feels like the hundredth time that i have attempted to install XP. I have used a win 98 boot disk and tried it from there. I have copied the I386 files and tried it like that.Nothing seems to work....so i disconnected the harddrive and connected it to the Compaq that works. It installed with no problem. I need some advice from anybody who knows how to fix it or has some experience with this sort of problem....Very much Appreciated
  2. just_a_nobody

just_a_nobody TS Rookie Posts: 205

Are you using the same XP disk that is used by the working computer, or did you buy a new XP disk. You can't have a single copy of XP on two computers, without purchasing a license, for it, from Microsoft. If this is true, I would stop what you are doing, because, you could end up with no XP at all.

The better solution, for you, would be to zero out the hard drive that was giving you problems, fdisk it, format it, and reinstall win98 on it.

Here is where you can get ZeroDisk to zero out your hard drive: http://www.safesite.com/product.download.php?id=44513&url=zerodisk.zip&itn=1&SiteID=digibuy

It may take hours, to zero out the drive, but well worth it.
  3. Mojam

Mojam TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 20

See i have 2 licensed cds of XP corporate....but the cd itself isnt the problem. Neither is the Maxtor 30 gb fireball because i moved that hd to the working computer and test installed XP. It worked...but i need a solution that will somehow get the messed up computer to install XP to the Fireball.
  4. just_a_nobody

Ok, wait, now I see what you are saying.
  5. just_a_nobody

I think what you may have, in the bad computer, is some other hardware issue that interupts your install. That is if I am reading this right, because you say, you installed it, to the hard drive, on the other computer. I am suspecting that you have a bad stick of RAM in the bad computer.
  6. Mojam

another question is how do i use zero disk....do i run it through dos off a floppy or what?
  7. Mojam

thanxs alot will try it
  8. just_a_nobody

Yes, you make a floppy, of ZeroDisk, and boot your computer with it.
  9. Mojam

Worked!!!!!

I really appreciate it...the problem is solved....Ive never had hardware problem ever and so that was the last thing on my mind....i found a new stick of ram and installed XP successfully...once again thanks a bunch
  10. just_a_nobody

It was my pleasure, I am so happy you got it up and running.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.