How to install XP on an external hard drive, help

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheShadow

Hey everyone I know this has probably been discussed before, but I could use some help anyways as I searched the forums and could not find the answer. I’m trying to follow the guide at ngine.de on how to install xp on an external hard drive. I have edited all of the files except for DOSNET which I am unsure on what I am supposed to do. I can’t determine if I am supposed to edit a line or add a line or what. So if someone could help that would be great. Thnx.

Note: i would have posted the whole web url except i have not done enough posts yet =)

On what equipment are you attempting to install this Windows as an external?
I would do a great deal of research online, because the information is there, and is likely too much information to post usefully on this site.
But if you insist, please fully post your current equipment... brand, model, and age of all compoents... motherboard, hard drive, power supply, and memory so respondents can "see" what you are attempting to do.

The hardware does not matter right now I am just confused on what I am supposed to edit in the next step. I have done a quite a bit of research but I can not figure out the next step and I do not want to mess things up. When I am able i will post the link to the site so everyone can see what I am following.

We can help you more usefully if we know your hardware, as that gives us clues on what needs to be done... and how it all fits together. For instance, we may need to think about motherboard chipset, video graphics, BIOS, and so on in order to get you up and running in the best way.
You choice, of course.

Here is what I have, hardware and OS.

System Model: Dell DXP061
BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 2.5.3
Processor: Intel Duel Core 6600 @ 2.4GHz
RAM: 4Gigs
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT 512 MB of memory

The external hard drive I have is a Western Digital 55.8 Gig usb drive. My pc is running Windows XP Home Edition SP3, but I’m using an .iso of XP Pro SP3. I could however make an .iso of my OS if that may work better, however it would only be SP2 from the CD.
And the reason why I have not posted the link to the site that I’m working from is because since I just joined I have to have 5 posts before I can post a link. I figured that people would not appreciate spam just so I could get 5 posts. This makes three =)

Ok, make an almost identical post because I didn't fully understand you explanation.

Then one more and you are done...

Here is what I have, hardware and OS.

System Model: Dell DXP061
BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 2.5.3
Processor: Intel Duel Core 6600 @ 2.4GHz
RAM: 4Gigs
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT 512 MB of memory

The external hard drive I have is a Western Digital 55.8 Gig usb drive. My pc is running Windows XP Home Edition SP3, but I’m using an .iso of XP Pro SP3 to install on the external hard drive. I could however make an .iso of my OS (XP Home SP2) if that may work better, however it would only be XP Home Edition SP2 from the CD.
And the reason why I have not posted the link to the site that I’m working from is because since I just joined I have to have 5 posts before I can post a link. I figured that people would not appreciate spam just so I could get 5 posts. This makes three =)

The external hard drive I have is a Western Digital 55.8 Gig usb drive. My pc is running Windows XP Home Edition SP3, but I’m using an .iso of XP Pro SP3 to install on the external drive. I could however make an .iso of my OS (XP Home SP2) if that may work better, however it would only be SP2 from the CD.
And the reason why I have not posted the link to the site that I’m working from is because since I just joined I have to have 5 posts before I can post a link. I figured that people would not appreciate spam just so I could get 5 posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back