How to limit the bandwidth for each computer on a wireless network?

t3chn0vamp

Hello Everyone !
Right now I am using a broadband connection as my Internet connection and I have a dsl modem which is wi-fi capable. Two of my frnds share the same Internet connection through wi-fi. The problem is whenever any of us watching YouTube videos or downloading something, the whole speed is consumed by that particular computer. I know that many new modems have the capability to limit the bandwidth usage these days but mine is an older one. So I was wondering if there is any way I can limit the bandwidth for each computer.
Thanks !

You have to have a modem you can log into an has that type of feature. If you are wired into the network, you should be able to limit the wireless bandwidth and keep your wired bandwidth up. Normally go into the modem, go to setting and wireless setting to limit it.

Thank you for your reply GhostRyder but as I mentioned in the thread that I know about this and in order to implement this, I need to buy a new modem which I dont want to do. Isn't there any program available which can do this for me?

Think about this; one location to control multiple devices? that points directly to the modem or the router. if there is a program, then each & every user would need to volunteer to let you control their access :giggle: LOL.

Hey t3chn0vamp. Even with a broadband cable connection, if 3 people were downloading big files at the same time, that may cause a slowdown, although not as bad as with DSL. DSL had a few download speeds when I had it 10 years ago, so for me, a faster connection via cable would be the way to go, but the cost may or may not limit you as maybe a cable connection may not be that much more than the slower DSL. Love your avatar by the way :))

Think about this; one location to control multiple devices? that points directly to the modem or the router. if there is a program, then each & every user would need to volunteer to let you control their access :giggle: LOL.

There is no problem getting the access as they are my friends. So do you know about any such program?

Hey t3chn0vamp. Even with a broadband cable connection, if 3 people were downloading big files at the same time, that may cause a slowdown, although not as bad as with DSL. DSL had a few download speeds when I had it 10 years ago, so for me, a faster connection via cable would be the way to go, but the cost may or may not limit you as maybe a cable connection may not be that much more than the slower DSL. Love your avatar by the way :))

You are right about the cable connection but as my friends use Laptops, so cable connection would be a bit messy. Anyway looks like I need to buy a new wireless modem to do this and yeah I found this avatar catchy too ! LOL

Sorry for the delay. By cable connection, I meant a physical coax cable connection from outside to your combo modem/router box., as opposed to getting your internet from DSL which is using your phone line. I would think the slowest cable internet speed is still faster than any DSL connection.

You can limit the number of connections to each system. If you have change the default limit on MS PC witch is set to 10 for TCP.sys. If they use a tool to change that to say 200 then then they go to download the stuff I am saying then all the bandwidth goes to that PC. The others will suffer. Not much you can do about it until they first downloading.

Tools like TCPOptimizer can make some cool changes to the NiC only but not to the TCP.sys which is hard coded to 10 sessions connections. The only time you would set it 50 to 200 if the router can support 200 sessions connections. Again doing so will effect others on the same network. Either wired or wireless.

Sorry for the delay. By cable connection, I meant a physical coax cable connection from outside to your combo modem/router box., as opposed to getting your internet from DSL which is using your phone line. I would think the slowest cable internet speed is still faster than any DSL connection.

I have Fibernet, I guess thats the coax cable connection tho I am using a DSL modem !

You can limit the number of connections to each system. If you have change the default limit on MS PC witch is set to 10 for TCP.sys. If they use a tool to change that to say 200 then then they go to download the stuff I am saying then all the bandwidth goes to that PC. The others will suffer. Not much you can do about it until they first downloading.

Tools like TCPOptimizer can make some cool changes to the NiC only but not to the TCP.sys which is hard coded to 10 sessions connections. The only time you would set it 50 to 200 if the router can support 200 sessions connections. Again doing so will effect others on the same network. Either wired or wireless.

Thanks tipstir. I'll give TCPOptimizer a try. :)

To Change the TCP.sys you need too lookup on the search engine for Universal Tcpip.sys Patch (app)

To Change the TCP.sys you need too lookup on the search engine for Universal Tcpip.sys Patch (app)

Ok, thanks :) Anyway I was looking for a new router which has the capability to limit the bandwidth per computer connected to it (I have seen it on my friend's router) so I want to know what is the name of this feature so that I can look it up in the product manual before buying it !

Get the TP-LINK ER6120 you can see how using this link below for the emulator (simulator)
http://www.tp-link.us/resources/simulator/TL-ER6120(UN)/userRpm/Index.htm

Under Services
Account you can limit each PC by IP/Pool/MAC by: Max Sessions which I was talking about.[CENTER][FONT=verdana][/FONT][/CENTER]

This is what I use today. It's more Enterprise VPN Rackmount router but you can disable the VPN side.
This is an investment too, not like buying and buying SOHO home gear, this is more SMB Router.
Really better to think about it.

If you don't wan to spend more you can get load balance router called TL-R480T+ or even the ER6020.
This is the emulator for R480T
http://www.tp-link.us/resources/simulator/TL-R480T+/userRpm/Index.htm

Under Services
Account you can limit each PC by IP/Pool/MAC by: Max Sessions which I was talking about.

If you need WiFi you can also add Access Point for WiFi to the network. This is how I do here. I have mine in a Mini Rack System. If you would like to see it I'll post Picture.

Get the TP-LINK ER6120 you can see how using this link below for the emulator (simulator)
http://www.tp-link.us/resources/simulator/TL-ER6120(UN)/userRpm/Index.htm

Under Services
Account you can limit each PC by IP/Pool/MAC by: Max Sessions which I was talking about.
[CENTER] [/CENTER]

This is what I use today. It's more Enterprise VPN Rackmount router but you can disable the VPN side.
This is an investment too, not like buying and buying SOHO home gear, this is more SMB Router.
Really better to think about it.

If you don't wan to spend more you can get load balance router called TL-R480T+ or even the ER6020.
This is the emulator for R480T
http://www.tp-link.us/resources/simulator/TL-R480T /userRpm/Index.htm

Under Services

If you need WiFi you can also add Access Point for WiFi to the network. This is how I do here. I have mine in a Mini Rack System. If you would like to see it I'll post Picture.

Thanks buddy. :) I checked out the simulator and the feature I was talking about is under Advanced -> Traffic Control. Max sessions is a common feature and almost every router has it where we can limit the no. of computers can connect to the router. If you can post the pictures that would be great. :)

I believe that
is any way I can limit the bandwidth for each computer
has far more to do with QoS than controlling the number of or which specific computers have access.

QoS typically applies bandwidth control to specific network traffic types (eg streaming, email, downloading). To date however, I've not found an implementation that allows these profiles to be paired with with a specific system, eg (mac#1+streaming vs mac#2+streaming). Seems to be a major oversite imo.

To date however, I've not found an implementation that allows these profiles to be paired with with a specific system, eg (mac#1+streaming vs mac#2+streaming). Seems to be a major oversite imo.

I have no idea about that due to my limited knowledge but I think QoS will do the job. :)

Using QoS to limit streaming for instance, will impact ALL users on the LAN and not just one. That's the imact of not having (mac#1+streaming)->profile setting.

Using QoS to limit streaming for instance, will impact ALL users on the LAN and not just one. That's the imact of not having (mac#1+streaming)->profile setting.

Thats not an issue here. So any ideas how its done or is it just another feature of a router?

Best to limited from the router by accounts per IP/mac lock it in.. QoS on PC (Windows Pro Series or higher. default is 20 but anyone knows how to change that to zero for unlimited.

I'm sorry. I can never see anything you type... just your avatar.

lol LNC, you need to calm your senses and then focus only on my post. :p

Best to limited from the router by accounts per IP/mac lock it in.. QoS on PC (Windows Pro Series or higher. default is 20 but anyone knows how to change that to zero for unlimited.

Ok, got it ! Thanks bro. :)

to whom is this addressed?

I guess he is talking about my Avatar. lol

Yes, it's in the router and if not - - buy one that supports QoS.

Ok, so finally it comes to changing my old router ! anyway I guess I should do it as this one's very old and has outdated firmware. No more firmware updates either !

Hmm; are you sure? QoS addresses the specific protocols, not the connection type (wired vs wifi). It could be a bad implementation in that D-Link, but QoS is designed to throttle the bandwidth of streaming (as an example) media versus simple http (web surfing).

Second thought, how are you evaluating current bandwidth being consumed on the router versus that being used by a specific user?

Hey techno..based on my experience with finding the best answer to your question is this...You can find a router that is compatible with ''dd-wrt''..It is a firmware that takes over the stock settings on your router and gives it features that u can only find on a really expensive enterprise router..To break it down more simple and to the point for you is to do this..Go to this link and buy this linksys router http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WRT54GL-Wireless-G-Broadband-Router/dp/B000BTL0OA That is a really great router...It is compatible with dd-wrt and it has detachable antennas which u can replace with more powerful ones..And u can even boost the output power of the antennas for a even more powerful signal throughout the house..Once u get it installed perfectly..You can connect it to your current adsl router via lan...and disable the wireless signal on your adsl router and enable the wireless signal on the linksys only...And u would be able to cap the amount of bandwidth for each user by Mac address or ip address..Am not sure if u know about mac addresses but simply it is like a set of numbers each wireless and wired adapter has...So lets say your friend's labtop has a mac address like 00:54:72:88:01:65 All u do in dd-wrt is put in that mac address and set the amount of max bandwidth for that labtop to 1000kbps ..That would mean that no matter what your friend downloads or stream he can't pull more than the 1000kbps of bandwidth u had set in dd-wrt on the linksys router...For instance if u have a 10mb connection package from your ISP..And u have 3 people including yourself that would be 4 total..You can set computer 1,2,3 to 1000kbps each...And u will need to cap yourself as well so u won't pull bandwidth from what u have allocated to them...so yours could be 6000 kbps...And everyone will be happy..I cant go into every detail what u will need to do here..As it would end up a whole long letter...But another great option and which is much easier is to get this application called NetLimitier 3..You would have to install it on each users computer..And u just set the app in each computer to the same 1000kbps each and yours on 6000kbps..These numbers are for if u have a 10mb package from your isp..If u have a faster package or less u can let me know I can measure it up for u..U can also contact me for information on getting the image of dd-wrt speacial edition....

Back