How to make a flash drive boot XP/Linux/Win7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellokitty[hk]

I have my new OCZ rally2 and im looking to make it boot at least windows xp AND store my data files + portable apps.

I have the standard windows XP pro 32, windows XP pro 64...probably all windows xp except slipstreamed sp3's, I have two whole chests of microsoft software i got a while ago. I also have win7, and ubuntu.

The version i am looking to boot is a windows XPSP3 LITE and format to nfts, i already have the ISO file.

Also, can I install and run programs on to the portable XP? And all i would have to do is select the rally2 drive after getting into the boot menu?

BTW, this may be kinda stupid, but can I partition my flash drive :p?

Thanks, Im quite clueless.

16) a few more notes:

This install will only work on the computer it was first installed on. You can't take it to a friends house or to school/work and boot a different computer with it without installing it from said computer.
well, i was looking to boot up into winXP lite universally on any computer with a proper bios...?

Their is a way to boot xp,vista,windows 7,and others from a flash drive.

Method 1 Full XP Install

You will need a special tool to copy the Installationfiles and making the USB-stick/SD card bootable - usb_multiboot_10.zip
Unpack to any folder. THE PATH TO YOUR FOLDER MUST BE SIMPLE AND WITHOUT SPACES! (ex. c:\usb_multiboot_10)
Insert USBstick / SD card.
ALL DATA ON YOUR STICK WILL BE ERASED! Please back up before running USB_MultiBoot_10.cmd!
Run USB_MultiBoot_10.cmd. follow text description.
Format utility will apear. Choose NTFS for >=4Gb usb flash and FAT16 for other, Start format, Close after finishing to allow the DOS operations to continue.
diamondsw: Using the “HP format” option works fine for any capacity, and you can use FAT32 without problems (I used a 4GB stick). This can be useful as more systems can read FAT32 than NTFS.
NOTE: If you are doing this from a Vista machine, you may need to run PeToUSB.exe as adminstrator in order for this program to recognize the jump drive. (Right click PeToUSB.exe > Properties > Compatibility > “Run this program as an administrator” checked.)
Set options 1 and 2. Set option 0 only if you want to use USB HDD instead of a USB stick/ SD card.
Do not touch other options if you have no idea about it.
Choose 3 after setting all other options. It will create the image and write it to the USB stick as well as making the USBstick / SD card bootable.
Answer Yes to all questions that come up (these vary depending on options selected).
When it finishes copying, remove your usb stick and insert it in the EeePC to install XP.
When you turn on the Eee, hold down “Esc” to choose the boot device and select the USB stick/ SD card. You'll need to do this at each reboot until XP is fully installed and you've logged in.
Choose Text installation at first time and GUI INSTALLATION AFTER REBOOT TWICE! - ( Choose step 1 to start installing, after reboot choose step two, after continued install press step 2 AGAIN to log into XP - As soon as you arrive at the Windows XP Desktop you can safely remove the USBStick / SD card.
If you get hal.dll not found errors, read carefully the last two last bullets!
If you get 'ntldr is missing' or other boot errors after you have ran text installation make sure you have deleted ALL partitions during 'text installation' this includes the BIOS partition.

IMPORTANT! DO NOT REMOVE USB STICK UNTIL YOU'LL SEE XP's LOGIN SCREEN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back