How to make GPU 1 = GPU 2 and GPU 2 = GPU 1?

lukeman3000

I have an Asus P6T and 2 EVGA GTX 470s running in SLI.

The cards got hot, so I put an after-market cooler on one of them.

The problem is that the one with the cooler will only fit in the bottom slot (PCI 2.0x16_2). What that means is that it is recognized as "GPU 2" and isn't the primary display card -- it doesn't do the hard work.

I NEED it to do the hard work so I can take advantage of my new cooler. But in order for that to happen, I need PCI 2.0x16_2 to be recognized as PCI 2.0x16_1, and I can't figure out how to do it.

I've googled, checked asus' website, and read my motherboard's manual. After checking the bios settings, I don't see anything (irq settings?) that looks like it would do what I'm wanting it to.

So, I'm looking for some help. A practical solution, a creative solution -- if you have any kind of an idea, however outlandish, let me hear it. I even entertained the idea of physically re-wiring the mobo, but I have a feeling that would be practically impossible because the traces are probably very small and hard to access.

why wont it fit in the first PCIe slot?

It will, but the fan on the aftermarket cooler actually comes into slight contact with the other card in that configuration, and that's a "no no".

If I had more space between the two slots, you can bet I'd already have them switched around. But seeing as how I don't..

so you don't have any running at x8 because they work at the same speed in sli

Right, I don't want to undercut one of the cards by putting in a slower slot.

I am thinking that I will either try to find a very thin aftermarket cooler for my other gtx 470, or simply water cool the card on top. That would solve my problem. It's just more money..

no seriously all the tests i've done and many other people have done have found 2 cards running on x16 and x8 have a 1% drop in performance, not even big enough for you to notice

no seriously all the tests i've done and many other people have done have found 2 cards running on x16 and x8 have a 1% drop in performance, not even big enough for you to notice

I didn't mention that I have a sounblaster card in the x8 slot right beneath it : /

There's really no other way for it to work unless I pull out my soundblaster card, which I don't want to do.

Are you aware of any good single-gpu water cooling options that would have the capability to upgrade to 2 or 3 in the future? A water block for a gpu is very thin, so I have no doubt I can pull that off.

oh well that could be a problem, there are only manual waterblocks for graphic cards (unless you want to buy a brand new card with watercooling on it) which mean you need all the other parts (tubes, pumps, radiators etc...), just search for GTX470 waterblock on google, i only know of newer card waterblocks

I'm going with the antec 620 mod. Looks legit.

Edit: I MAY get it installed tomorrow (assuming Staples has a 620 in stock). If not, over the weekend for sure. I'll post back here when I'm done with pictures and results if anyone's interested.

This is such a great mod. The antec 620 is like 60 bucks and it has everything you need to cool a gpu. Many people have done it and reported great success.

IMO you're spending too much money on aftermarket cooling for very little real world benefit, you're better off saving that cash and spending it on the upcoming 600 series.

IMO you're spending too much money on aftermarket cooling for very little real world benefit, you're better off saving that cash and spending it on the upcoming 600 series.

First of all, my temp gets up to 95C when under heavy load on GPU 1. Secondly, the fan is extremely loud when this happens.

The real world benefit is that my temp would be more like 75-80C (if that), and it would be whisper quiet. That's exactly what I want, and the real world benefit is huge for me.

But what is this 600 series you speak of? Is it a different antec cooler? Or are you talking about an upcoming gtx 600 card or something like that? Because the 590 is like $1000 right now. There's a pretty big difference between $60, and $1000..

lukeman, I for one think you are being intelligent about this; I wouldn't want to go to a x8 slot even if it were free, and I can definitely see the real world benefit, especially since my friend owns a 470 and I know how loud and hot ONE can get!

Go with that mod, I think you'll be happy.

Ok fair enough, the GTX 470 and 480 do run insanely hot. But my point was that instead of investing in your 470 SLI setup you should think about the upcoming GTX 600 series, I reckon a GTX 660/670 will give you about equal performance to your current setup with much less heat, noise and power consumption.

Once the GTX 600 cards get released I think you will find prices dropping dramatically, certainly won't be in the $1000 range. Also when it comes to pricing you have to consider the resale value of your existing cards.

Ok fair enough, the GTX 470 and 480 do run insanely hot. But my point was that instead of investing in your 470 SLI setup you should think about the upcoming GTX 600 series, I reckon a GTX 660/670 will give you about equal performance to your current setup with much less heat, noise and power consumption.

Once the GTX 600 cards get released I think you will find prices dropping dramatically, certainly won't be in the $1000 range. Also when it comes to pricing you have to consider the resale value of your existing cards.

I understand and have considered your point of view before today. But, it wouldn't be a 600 series card I'd be buying, if anything. It'd probably be a 580, because I could actually afford one if I sold both of my current cards.

Maybe the 600 cards won't be 1k when they come out, but I know that the 590 selling for 800-900 depending on where you buy from. I don't see why the 600 would be much different. I wouldn't consider buying one unless it was in the 500 range, which I highly doubt will be the case when they first come out.

For that reason, I think that a hundred bucks is justifiable to spend on cooling my rig and making it quieter. I plan on keeping this computer for at least 2-3 more years, so I don't have a problem investing a little more into it. It doesn't make sense for me to put down even 600 bucks on a new card because I simply don't have that money, and if I did, I'd have better things to use it for right now. But I can spare a hundred, and I think this mod will help give me the quiet computer I've always wanted. I may keep the aftermarket air cooler on the other card since I already bought it, and it seems to do a good job. (It's also very quiet). If I put that antec 620 on the top card, it should solve all of my problems. I'm pretty sure it will fit, as I don't think it exceeds the cards normal dimensions when installed.

Back