How to patent an idea

tw0rld

I have a few ideas that I would like to get patented, the problem is I have no idea of how to go about this, thus this thread. If there is anyone with any information, please share it with me you help will be very much appreciated.
Thank You.

tw0rld

First, i'm not a lawyer so am not offering any of this as "legal" advise vs. personal observation and experience after many years experience in Software Engineering which includes
  • Patents with my name on them. (But the patent OWNERs are the companies i worked for. They're also the ones who pursued the patent process)
  • Time spent on "patent committees" at work where we reviewed ideas submitted by other technical staff to give our opinion of the company spending $$ to pursue it as a patent

The big (and practical) issues i see pursuing something as a patent (as an individual) are the patent and legal processes that go hand-in-hand. While the initial milestones of the process are no small feat (submitting and then getting your patent) they're not your problem. It;s the time and cost it takes to defend your patent if corporations want to challenge it for any real or made-up reason they choose
  • Whether they really feel they have a real legal right to challenge, or
  • Knowing what's involved for you $$$ wise for legal and research assistants to defend it against deep pocket corporations (who can break an issue based on who has $$$ not legal right)

I'm certainly not telling you to not pursue your ideas, but only suggesting you fully look into (and getting lots of advice from others) on what to expect and prepare for. (btw... to clarify, the Patent Office grants patents if idea passes their basic review process. It's the corporations who do deeper reviews/research and then legal challenges that can often break a patent)

tw0rld

First, i'm not a lawyer so am not offering any of this as "legal" advise vs. personal observation and experience after many years experience in Software Engineering which includes
  • Patents with my name on them. (But the patent OWNERs are the companies i worked for. They're also the ones who pursued the patent process)
  • Time spent on "patent committees" at work where we reviewed ideas submitted by other technical staff to give our opinion of the company spending $$ to pursue it as a patent

The big (and practical) issues i see pursuing something as a patent (as an individual) are the patent and legal processes that go hand-in-hand. While the initial milestones of the process are no small feat (submitting and then getting your patent) they're not your problem. It;s the time and cost it takes to defend your patent if corporations want to challenge it for any real or made-up reason they choose
  • Whether they really feel they have a real legal right to challenge, or
  • Knowing what's involved for you $$$ wise for legal and research assistants to defend it against deep pocket corporations (who can break an issue based on who has $$$ not legal right)

I'm certainly not telling you to not pursue your ideas, but only suggesting you fully look into (and getting lots of advice from others) on what to expect and prepare for. (btw... to clarify, the Patent Office grants patents if idea passes their basic review process. It's the corporations who do deeper reviews/research and then legal challenges that can often break a patent)

Thank you, this is very helpful.

I have a few ideas that I would like to get patented
From what I know, ideas themselves cannot be patented, only their specific implementation(s). But of course, it all depends on what you mean by ideas.

Back