How to put "tick" sign into the box in MS Word 2007?

If you can't replace the blank boxes w/ box w/ check mark, then try to insert a text box w/ check mark. Change the background color to none, resize the box and drag it over the box you want to check. Copy, paste and move checks to other boxes.

Hi, The 'Ticked box' symbol is in the 'Wingdings' font, and it's the second from last symbol.
So in 'Word', it's 'Insert' , 'Symbol', (dropbox) 'More symbols'.
Then change font to 'Wingdings', then scroll down to the last line, and the 'Ticked box' is second to last one. Lastly, click on 'Insert'.

It seems that quite a few people have had the same problem with trying to put a 'tick' into an outline 'box' symbol, using MS Word.
As far as I know there is no way to do that, but the solution is to replace the empty 'box' symbol, with the 'ticked box' symbol, and both of those symbols are in the 'Wingdings' font collection, as I described in answer #4.

I will reply this in two parts. (a) creating a box: instead of "insert table, table, rows/columns" etc., simply type +----+ and enter, your table is ready. now coming to main question of inserting tick mark or x mark in the box. it is simple, change the font to webdings and type a (for tick mark) and r (for x mark). pl give feed back.... [email address removed]

There is a way to place table by table (not one under the other, but side by side). I shall share that trick, if someone shows interest.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will reply this in two parts. (a) creating a box: instead of "insert table, table, rows/columns" etc., simply type +----+ and enter, your table is ready. now coming to main question of inserting tick mark or x mark in the box. it is simple, change the font to webdings and type a (for tick mark) and r (for x mark). pl give feed back.... [email address removed]

There is a way to place table by table (not one under the other, but side by side). I shall share that trick, if someone shows interest.

Yes, I'm interested via posted or an email reply

Q: Is it possible to follow in your footsteps, and gain insight to what/how you have gained these "tech tips" ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Both the 'empty box' character and the 'ticked box ' characters can be found in the Wingdings 2 font in MS Word. ( The 4th and 9th lines.)
ticked_box.jpg

Back