How to remove an invisible FF extension?

Status
Not open for further replies.

billyellis

Hi there,

I just made a mistake that I would like to correct, but I am not sure how to do it.

I installed an activex extension called "mozactivex-ff-15.xpi" that came from Yahoo.com in order to be able to play video from that site. But I did so thinking that I would be able to disable the extension as soon as I was finished watching the video that I wanted to see.

But a) the extension does not show up in the Extensions window, and b) trying to open the video crashed FF and I had to restart it.

So how can I undo my mistake and completely remove this ActiveX control? The install log reads like this:

ActiveX Plugin (version 1.0.0.3)
--------------

** File found: msvcrt.dll
** File found: msvcp60.dll
** File found: msvcp70.dll
[1/4] Installing: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\npmozax.dll
[2/4] Installing: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\components\nsIMozAxPlugin.xpt
[3/4] Installing: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\components\nsAxSecurityPolicy.js
[4/4] Installing: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\pref\activex.js

Install completed successfully

How do I reverse what I have done? I have a feeling that I can't simply delete the .dll without unregistering it first, but I don't know how to do that.

Thanks.

billyellis said:
Hi there,

I just made a mistake that I would like to correct, but I am not sure how to do it.

How do I reverse what I have done? I have a feeling that I can't simply delete the .dll without unregistering it first, but I don't know how to do that.

Thanks.

Hi

From this site I found the following instructions,

http://www.myfilehut.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159

Should you want to uninstall the ActiveX plugin, the process is simple - only four files need to be manually deleted from the Firefox program folder.
Close all instances of Firefox
Go to the Firefox program folder (the location you installed Firefox to). The default location in Windows is 'C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\'
Go into the plugins folder and delete the file 'npmozax.dll'
Go back to the Firefox program folder, and then go into the components folder, and delete the files 'nsIMozAxPlugin.xpt' & 'nsAxSecurityPolicy.js'.
Go back to the Firefox program folder, and then go into the defaults\pref folder, and delete the file 'activex.js'.

Any help ??

Regards

Thanks for the info.

So there is no need to unregister the .dll using a command line prior to deleting? Is that only for OS extensions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back