How to remove Windows 7 from boot?

By layitdown33
Jun 15, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Ok the title is a little tricky. I have an OS installed (Vista). I was trying to upgrade to Windows 7 but the upgrade would not install. However, I am sure that if I format the HD then install their wont be any problems.

So here is the problem, When I boot up the PC it keeps trying to boot into Win 7 which is not on the computer at all. I have to always key down to prompt it to boot into Vista.

How do I remove the Win 7 from the start up? I Googled it and seen some things but most of the instructions were really clear.

Second if I do decide I want to try and get this windows installed without formatting how can I do that?
  2. Mark56

Mark56 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,889

It sounds as if you have installed the boot sector of Windows 7 which I have never come across before. This has then created an entry in the Boot Manager.

Download and install this free software which you can use to remove the entry.

Scroll to the bottom of the page for the Download button.

Then you can download this free software to make a boot disc which you can then use to create a partition on the disk for installing Windows 7. This will then recreate an entry for Windows 7 in the Boot Manager that will give you a dual boot set up.