TechSpot

How to resize the Windows partition?

By Marty9231
Sep 17, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi,

Just to be clear: I have searched the internet for similar problems, and found a lot. However none of them had an answer to my exact problem.

Which is:

My Windows partition (the first of 6 partitions) is way to small. I tried to resize it with EASEUS Partition Master 4.0, but I couldn't resize the top partition. I think that is because I couldn't get "unallocated space" above or underneath there.

My question:

Is there a way to resize that partition, if necessary with a bootable dvd (without formatting the partitions!)?

FYI, my OS is MS Windows Vista Ultimate x64..

Marty
  2. strategic

strategic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,274

You shouldn't require special software to do this, it can be done within Windows.
    Not sure if you tried this at all, but here it goes,

Open 'start menu' and under 'computer', click 'manage'
    In the left pane, open up the Storage category and click on Disk Management.
    Right click on the partition be to modified.
    Click on Extend Volume or Shrink Volume to extend or shrink the selected partition.
  3. Marty9231

Marty9231 TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 201

Hi,

I didn't try that, however when I do, I don't get the 'extend volume' option when I right click my windows partition.
    Is there any way to work around that?
  4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,494   +292

I figured that would happen, I think what strategic said only applies in Windows Vista/7.
  5. strategic

strategic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,274

I can't say for sure in Windows 7, but I thought Vista is the o/s in question here...
  6. Well Marty9231 had it right but if you cant choose extend portion then that normally means that there is either part of windows stored on it or nothing to move to it. Maybe you shoudl post a picture with your manage windows up let me see it.
  7. lol whoops i meant strategic
  8. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,494   +292

lol, oops.
  9. Marty9231

Marty9231 TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 201

Hey, thank you all for the replies. I figured out, with a bit of trial-and-error, that EASEUS had a special 'system partition' resize function. I now have succesfully added 10GB to it.

Thanks again
    Marty
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.