How to set up a hardware compatibility test environment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey gang, my boss has asked me as part of my new job description to perform hardware compatibility tests. This involves PC based hardware, printers, scanners, keyboards, etc. I was wondering if any of you have ever done compatibility testing before as I'm not sure where to start.

Basically I'm aware of M$ HCT and our budget allows me to purchase 5 of the most popular peripheral devices from all catagories (5 best printers, 5 best mice, etc). Any tips, pointers or suggestions?

Cheers

the very first thing YOU do is go back to Mr Boss and ask for an objective set
of criteria to be measured. He will likely ask you to fill-in the details of HOW;
he/she may also punt entirely back to you -- "that's your job". Either way,
create a document of your understanding, containing
  • objectives
  • assumptions
  • a list of specific criteria
  • an overview of HOW each criterion will be evaluated

and publish this to Mr Boss and anyone working with you.

Yea, it will take a few days to get your head around the subject, but it will also
avoid a false start and maybe Mr Boss will provide extra inputs you have overlooked (a good thing).

jobeard said:
the very first thing YOU do is go back to Mr Boss and ask for an objective set
of criteria to be measured. He will likely ask you to fill-in the details of HOW;
he/she may also punt entirely back to you -- "that's your job". Either way,
create a document of your understanding, containing
  • objectives
  • assumptions
  • a list of specific criteria
  • an overview of HOW each criterion will be evaluated

and publish this to Mr Boss and anyone working with you.

Yea, it will take a few days to get your head around the subject, but it will also
avoid a false start and maybe Mr Boss will provide extra inputs you have overlooked (a good thing).

Thanks for the idea. I'll make a list today and show it to the old boy next Monday when he's back from Tokyo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back