How to set up a printer network between an iMac + a Windows Laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there.

I've had an iMac G5 OSX 10.3.9 (or sth like that) exclusively for a little bit now, but we just bought a Laptop that runs Windows XP. I have a wireless internet network setup, and wanted to network a printer as well (Lexmark X2480). Does anybody know how I can go about doing that?

Thank you in advance,
Amanda.

You didn't say which PC will be the shared for the printer? If you choose the MAC then load the drivers for that OS. But on the XP box you'll need to install the drivers for that printer for that OS. Make your the Printer will work on the MAC OS. Once you get an IP address they under XP just click on run type: \\computer IP address which the printer will be shared on.

If the printer has its own NIC you still need to setup a printer server for it though. In this case a workgroup PC. Either laptop or MAC.

try activating file + printer sharing on the xp computer then try accessing the PC's printer through your imac.

Yakob said:
try activating file + printer sharing on the xp computer then try accessing the PC's printer through your imac.
Thats not what he asked how to do, and it may not even be feasible with his computer and room layout. Sharing from OS X 10.3 Panther is easy enough.
In Panther, it works without any special work under the hood -- just switch on "Printer sharing" and "Windows sharing" in the Sharing preferences panel. In Windows, add a new network printer; you can find it by browsing. But now the important thing: When Windows asks to select a driver for the printer, select any PostScript driver like the Apple LaserWriter or Color LaserWriter instead of the printer model you're using.
Link

Seems pretty straightfoward and simple to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back