How to share File between WIN2000 and RH9?

Status
Not open for further replies.

novkhan

Goodday!

I have 2 PCs.
1 is a Redhat 9 ,
1 is a Window 2000.

I am a newbie to Linux so can any kind soul Explain in detail
how to get this 2 PC to share files!

Thankyou!

If you have dual boot then you can install a linux filesystem driver in windows, use a FAT32 partition to transfer files and enable NTFS support in linux kernel.

If you want to do it over the network then you have to configure Samba in RedHat.

On win2k box, share a directory, like c:\data.

On Linux box, just use mount -t smbfs if smbfs is compiled into the system (if I remember correctly, it should be an option in RH9).

Do man smbmount to see the details, I'm not running Linux at the moment so I can't check.

It's something like mount -t smbfs -o user=user, password=pass //win2kpcsname/data /mountpoint

Originally posted by OS samurai
do you want to share files over a network or just on a local machine? e.g in a dual boot setup?

Network!!
Coz i have 2 PC at Home.
Small little home LAN.

Originally posted by Nodsu
If you have dual boot then you can install a linux filesystem driver in windows, use a FAT32 partition to transfer files and enable NTFS support in linux kernel.

If you want to do it over the network then you have to configure Samba in RedHat.

Can i use VNC between 2000 and RH9?

It would be easier if that is possible,

How to, if possible?

You can VNC between Windows and Linux. You have to install vnc 4.x in Redhat to be able to share the X:0 desktop. www.realvnc.com get the beta version. Any vnc server/client on Windows will do.

I don't know of any VNC servers for Linux that would allow file transfers though.

Originally posted by OS samurai
like nodsu said I do'nt know of any VNC servers that will allow you to transfer files between win & linux you might give samba a shot though
http://www.hk8.org/old_web/linux/run/ch12_01.htm

Thanks. everyone!
I gave samba a shot!
I can now share my CDROM from WIN2000

But there is one more problem.
I tried to put my Root folder from RH9 to share .
I used my win 2000 to access the folder ,
i get a message " \\Localhost\root is not accessible. The netwoek name cannot be found"

But the strange is that i can access RH9 CDROM folder from WINDOWS!

i wonder if my Samba setting is set right!
But my CDROM settings from Samba is exactly the same as ROOT settings.
The Samba settings is displayed below.

Base Options:
path: /root

Security Options:
guest account :nobody
read only:Yes
guest ok: No

Browse Options
Browseble :Yes

Miscellaneous Options
Available: Yes

How exactly does the smb.conf file look like? How exactly are you accessing the RH9 shares?

If you type \\localhost\blah in Windows Explorer then you are accessing the local (Windows) computer, not the remote (RH9) one. Localhost is the name that always refers to the local computer.

Originally posted by Nodsu
How exactly does the smb.conf file look like? How exactly are you accessing the RH9 shares?

If you type \\localhost\blah in Windows Explorer then you are accessing the local (Windows) computer, not the remote (RH9) one. Localhost is the name that always refers to the local computer.
I am accessing RH9 through win2000 My Network Place!

Strange thing is that i can access the CDROM from there , but wheni put my ROOT file to share i cant get it!

Strange!!!

smb.conf?

Are you sure you are reading the CDROM from the Linux machine and not your local Windows machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back