TechSpot

How to tell if Win 8 or 8.1?

By jsmileb
Nov 17, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. I recently had a hard drive failure on a relatively new Dell. They sent me an "imaged" replacement. Problem is I cannot tell if it is 8 or 8.1. One of the websites I visited suggested that if your OS is all updated, visiting the "store" will offer you the upgrade to 8.1. No such offering. Is there a simple way to determine if you have 8 or 8.1? When I go into "CONTROL PANEL>SYSTEM" I only see under OS "Windows 8".
  2. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,956   +902

3. jsmileb

jsmileb TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 82

Do not know what I am doing wrong, saved a system image, ran windows update, KB2871389 shown in "Installed Updates" still nothing available in the "Store". I signed up for MS account, went to all the help sites for 8.1, still nothing in store. Heeeelp!
  4. wholesalestunna

wholesalestunna TS Rookie Posts: 35

If all of your windows Updates prior to 8.1 are not completed, the 8.1 download won't appear in the store. I had the same issue until I installed all of my updates and then after I rebooted after the install it appeared.
  5. jsmileb

Thanks all. What I ended up doing was to "Refresh" the OS. After updating the refreshed install, 8.1 appeared in the "Store". I just had to reinstall several things. Jury still out on 8. Why is it that whenever I get a new OS, the goal is to make it operate as much like the old one as possible? Jury is still out on 8, either 7 was better or I was just used to it.
  6. wholesalestunna

I'm the same way. The only reason why I wanted 8.1 was so that I could boot to the desktop view and not the app one. I'm thinking about downgrading back to Windows 7 to be honest.
  7. jsmileb

I just found out that upgrading to Media Center is $100, I'll play with 8 for another week or so, then reinstall 7 that comes with Media Center.
  8. wholesalestunna

Have you tried to use the "boot to desktop" option? It makes it a little better.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.