How to tell if Win 8 or 8.1?

jsmileb

I recently had a hard drive failure on a relatively new Dell. They sent me an "imaged" replacement. Problem is I cannot tell if it is 8 or 8.1. One of the websites I visited suggested that if your OS is all updated, visiting the "store" will offer you the upgrade to 8.1. No such offering. Is there a simple way to determine if you have 8 or 8.1? When I go into "CONTROL PANEL>SYSTEM" I only see under OS "Windows 8".

It should say Windows 8.1:
Microsoft-Removes-the-Windows-Experience-Index-in-Windows-8-1-Preview-2.jpg

Check out this site if you need help upgrading to Windows 8.1. A lot of people are not seeing the update in the Windows store, so you are not alone.

Do not know what I am doing wrong, saved a system image, ran windows update, KB2871389 shown in "Installed Updates" still nothing available in the "Store". I signed up for MS account, went to all the help sites for 8.1, still nothing in store. Heeeelp!

Thanks all. What I ended up doing was to "Refresh" the OS. After updating the refreshed install, 8.1 appeared in the "Store". I just had to reinstall several things. Jury still out on 8. Why is it that whenever I get a new OS, the goal is to make it operate as much like the old one as possible? Jury is still out on 8, either 7 was better or I was just used to it.

Thanks all. What I ended up doing was to "Refresh" the OS. After updating the refreshed install, 8.1 appeared in the "Store". I just had to reinstall several things. Jury still out on 8. Why is it that whenever I get a new OS, the goal is to make it operate as much like the old one as possible? Jury is still out on 8, either 7 was better or I was just used to it.

I'm the same way. The only reason why I wanted 8.1 was so that I could boot to the desktop view and not the app one. I'm thinking about downgrading back to Windows 7 to be honest.

I just found out that upgrading to Media Center is $100, I'll play with 8 for another week or so, then reinstall 7 that comes with Media Center.

Back