How to trace e-mails?

DjKraid

Hi

Is there any way to see / find out where e-mails have been sent from and where they go / are opened after I have sen them? -somthing like tracking IP addresses...

thx :)

Looking at the headers may help but that information can be faked. Some email systems may support a read receipt but I would imagine you and the recipient would need to be using the same system.

I'm sending / receiving via hotmail and the other contact that I would like to find out about has yahoo mail. I'm selling a laptop to an other country and I want to take precautions...so I don't get scammed.

So is that possible to trace / track?

Not really. As noted, ALL the headers to email can be faked and even if they are real,
all those Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo Mail accounts come from the email server addresses, not the users who send the email.

If you are passing a system to someone else (selling or just giving), then you should
be sure to delete all your personal data, delete all cookies and history, and change all account passwords using your new system.

delete all your personal data

There are two folders most people never see
XP: \Documents & Settings\Login-id\
Application Data\
Local Settings\​
Vista & Win\7: \Users\Login-id\
Application Data\
Local Settings\​
You may need to make these VISIBLE and then
delete ALL of the content.

#jobeard
Ok, now I don't follow...why would I need to delete all the personal data when I want to track someones e-mail..?

P.S.
Always when I sell a computer I re-install the system / do a 100% clean install, if that's what You mean? That's obvious, who would want some random people to look trough Your stuff?!

#jobeard
Ok, now I don't follow...why would I need to delete all the personal data when I want to track someones e-mail..?
wasn't my point
P.S.
Always when I sell a computer I re-install the system / do a 100% clean install, if that's what You mean? That's obvious, who would want some random people to look trough Your stuff?!
good, that was the point but many would not do the extra work. Bravo for you :wave:

Before doing a re-install, you may want to actually wipe the drive rather than just a format if you're concerned about the data on the drive. Just doing a format and re-install may not actually get rid of all your data.

Panic stations :0) Why not call the guy at his home and check out his number name address on enquiries?

Yes, Tanlic has it. If you haven’t already done so, get his full name, address and telephone number. Don’t accept a P.O. Box address and mobile phone.

Then check in the phone book of his telephone company, which should be on the web, that the above data match. Give him a ring too to make sure.

Of course, the surest way is to get the money before dispatching the goods.

As regards tracing emails, if it was that simple, there wouldn’t be so much spam.

Before doing a re-install, you may want to actually wipe the drive rather than just a format if you're concerned about the data on the drive. Just doing a format and re-install may not actually get rid of all your data.

A very good point that is. Formatting a drive just wipes the data from its surface, its not until you cleanse the hard drive that the data which hasn't be already unwritten becomes impossible to dig out.

Overkill for most personal users, but essential for businesses and confidential information. I haven't ever sold a used hard drive before anyway, I'd rather replace it with a new one and destroy/re-use the existing drive in another computer.

#JMMD & Leeky
Excellent point! -I would too replace the hdd with a new one if I would get something for it. ppl usually don't pay that much for a old computer (ex.) with a AMD Duron (socket A) CPU and 512Mb RAM and so on...ppl pay from 30-120€ for that kind of computer and if you replace the hdd you can get at most 10€ more for it even if the hdd costs 40€.
But if I get a costumers old computer to fix and sell on then I always have to destroy the hdd if the old owner doesn't give permission to re-use the hdd. That's the law, and I run a own little business and I also work for Emmaus and fix everything that has with computers to do here so that part of the law I rly have to follow (even if it sucks to trow big almost new hdds sometimes).

#Tanlic & bobcat
Yes I have hes name and phone number but:
1. I can't call him, the problem is in my end
2. Phone book, how do a get a phone book from CA / USA when I live in Finland / Europe?
3. Is there some web site where I could search / check the number vs name or something?

You could try: whitepages.addresses.com/white_pages_city/40805.html

Google is a wonderful thing ;o)

Back