How to transfer files when USB doesn't work?

nihi

Hi there,

I've bought a new laptop and wanted to transfer all the files from my old one, more than 40GB.

However, the USB port doesn't fonction since long time. what other ways except by internet (since it will take super long) can I use??

Thanks a lot for your help in advance.

Nihi

Try LAN

One thing you could try is transferring your files via an ethernet cable, provided your old and new laptop both have a RJ-45 jacket. If you own a router, this is an easy task (share folder, drag n' drop).
Same thing if either of them have a wireless network card and you have a wireless network router.

If you do not have a router, you'll need to use a crossover cable (ethernet Cat 5, RJ-45, crossing Tx and Rx) to connect both computers.
Or, one last option is to use and ad-hoc wireless connection between your two laptops.

Hi polisan87,

Thank you for your advice~

It doesn't have RJ-45 jacket, the wireless doesn't work as well..

I'll try to plug the router if the port continues to function.

Tks again~

No USB, no RJ-45, no wireless. That's a tough one you got there, buddy.

You did mention in your first post you could try sending the files over using the Internet. How do you connect to the Internet if you have no LAN or WAN port?
Is the PCI card slot working? You could always get a wireless PCI card...

What about Bluetooth? Any Bluetooth port? You could get a Bluetooth PCI card, an USB Bluetooth stick for your new laptop and create an ad-hoc or WAP connection.

By the way, I think I know the answer, but your old laptop has only one -broken- USB port, right?

I could tell you to crack open your old laptop case in order to fix the USB port, but I don't know enough about laptops' integrated MOBOs to provide any advice. Sorry, pal.

The next best method might be to remove the hard drive from the laptop and place it into an enclosure or use an adapter to transfer files to the new laptop.

Back