How to turn off sound 'start navigating'

By Edu78
Nov 1, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. I've got a very annoying problem: I can't turn off the sound 'start navigating' in IE. Cannot get it done in the sounds-menu of Windows XP.

Somebody?
  2. EDO219

EDO219 Newcomer, in training Posts: 298

Why are you using IE instead of Firefox, per se? o_o
  3. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,358   +167

Well, aside from Pygmus' good question :p

Have you tried Ctl Panel->Sounds, click Sound tab. Scroll down to Start Navigation then use the pull down menu to set it to sound file: None. Click OK
  4. Edu78

Edu78 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Tried that already. Unfortunately, that doesn't work...
  5. Edu78

Someone else?
  6. mike1959

mike1959 TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,033   +15

How about; in Internet Explorer, Tools, Internet options, Advanced tools tab, scroll down to 'Multimedia', then untick, 'Play sounds in web pages'
  7. EDO219

Wouldn't that kill all sounds in IE such as the audio on Youtube videos?

OP, it might be time to just go with Firefox and the Adblock Plus add-on. :p
  8. Edu78

I probably do that. But I find it strange I cannot turn that stupid sounds off. I've got two pc's, both with an legal version of XP Home: both the same problem.
  9. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,419   +281

What if you deleted or renamed C:\Windows\Media\Windows Navigation Start.wav? If it still needs that file there you could create a wav that was just blank (no sound) and name it 'Windows Navigation Start.wav".

Those suggestions really sidestep the issue though. Something is going on/isn't right with your system if you tell it not to play a sound for that and it does...
  10. EDO219

Perhaps you could go into regedit and delete the key in this folder that links to the .wav file:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\Explorer\Navigating\.current
  11. EJaC

EJaC Newcomer, in training

I was just browsing and noticed your name is an anagram of the town I live in, Gypsum. High five! :D

12. EDO219

Holy moley, you're right! o_o

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.