How to upgrade HP d220 Mt to accept larger hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wind777

Hi,

I was wondering if there is a way to get the HP d220 to accept larger hard drives. I have some WD 250 IDE hard drives? I would like to add one to my HP as a slave drive. .At the moment the only hard drive it has is a 80gb. One of the hard drives has come out of another machine that the power box blew on and has an OS system on it. It is not functioning properly in my IO Magic USB hard drive enclosure. I'm figuring it is because it has an OS Windows XP on it. It shows up as a local drive on F:, but it is unaccessible. Any susggestions?

You may need to Partition and format the HardDrive
But it must be first seen by your system Bios to do this

Confirm the little jumper at the back of the HardDrive is set to CS (Cable Select)

Hi Kimsland,

I have set the jumper in the back for Cable Select, and also tried Slave with neither of them showing results. I have another 250 g WD harddrive in the I/OMagic hard drive enclosure The computer recognizes and accesses this harddrive with no problem. It does not have a OS systme on it. I do not want to format the drive as it has pictures on it I need to save. How do I know if the Bios is seeing the Harddrive?

Wind777

Well when you first turn on your computer you will notice a key to press to enter Bios Setup (usually DEL or F2, although may be some other key)
Once in Bios Setup, check to see if the HardDrive is showing and found.

I note that some Bios Setups do not provide this info
In that case you may use the free bootable CD Gparted (please do this)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back