TechSpot

How well does a Intel C2D E6600 overclock?

By Kf21291
Mar 1, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hi guys, I have a intel c2d E6600 and planing on overclocking it my board is a Abit ib9 775 and my case is very well ventilated (Lian-Li Case) but I have a stock heat sink.
  2. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,680   +880

Nothing overclocks very well with the stock heatsink, period.

With that said, why does this machine need to be overclocked?

Your 8400GS video card is a huge bottleneck, at least if your end is to game with the machine.
  3. Kf21291

Kf21291 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 41

I want it to perform better than my laptop, its kinda embarrassing that it can't encode a video or run faster than my macbook which was weird. Then again i only spent $300 on this system. Video card is the only one in my price range that would be able to run on macs so thats why i got a crappy one lol only $5 after mir
  4. Codisha

Codisha TS Member Posts: 86

how much did you spend on the macbook?
  5. Kf21291

that was $2100 dollars, but I its not like a top class performer you get get for half the price like asus g73 series
  6. Codisha

you will need adequate cooling for the CPU or heat will become a major issue.
    i had a E6600 at up to 3.6GHz but had it most of the time at 3.0GHz - 3.2GHz.

3.0GHz - 3.2GHz should be fairly easy to achieve by simple raising the FSB. for a 3.6GHz you might need a little bump in vCore
  7. Kf21291

Thats not bad, What kind of heatsink did you have on it?
  8. Codisha

i used a ThermalRight 120 Ultra

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.