How would I go about compiling drivers?

By Gflo
Mar 8, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've got the source files for Eyetoy drivers. I want to compile them for a 64 bit system(Vista Premium 64 to be exact). How Would I go about doing this?
    Thanks,
    Gflo
  2. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,361   +167

There are several potential things/steps involved in getting them compiled and even more potential pitfalls along the way (between finding the right compilers, knowing the right run-time compiler arguments and options) to get them compiled and then actually work! Unless you are computer/technical oriented enough to figure out the tasks ahead i think you're best to find pre-compiled and tested versions online

fyi... compiling a driver for 64-bit Windows is far from being the only thing required to get them to work in 64-bit Windows! (in fact, i'd venture to say if you can't find a compiled/working 64bit version of the driver online.. it almost certainly means the driver source code hasn't been ported to work in a 64-bit environment yet!)
  3. Gflo

Gflo Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 105

I can't find a 64bit driver that why i'd like to compile one myself. I could figure out what I needed to do. All i need is a compiler and about 2 weeks
  4. LookinAround

5. Gflo

thanks a bunch, I'll start working on it ASAP
  6. LookinAround

OK. And while i hope you are successful :grinthumb, before you invest alot of time and start pulling your hair out in frustration:
    Remember that simply having source code and compiling the code for 64-bit Windows doesn't mean it will work under 64-bit Windows. Just think of all those 32-bit drivers owned by companies with the source code that haven't released 64-bit versions. If only a simply recompile issue.. you can be sure they'd want their 64-bit versions available as well!​
  7. Gflo

if I don't manage to get it working, could I just install a virtual machine and have it run from there? I wouldn't know I've never had to use a virtual machine

Also;
    The eyetoy was never officially supported and the drivers i'm using are some odd home brew drivers
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.