HP addresses TouchPad questions

By Shawn Knight
Aug 30, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Less than two weeks ago HP dropped a bombshell by announcing they would be halting their WebOS division and effectively slashed prices on the HP TouchPad to $99 and $149…

Read the whole story
  2. treeski

treeski TS Evangelist Posts: 954   +193

This could all have simply been a brilliant plan to effectively increase tablet market share =P
  3. Panda218

Panda218 TS Addict Posts: 269   +99

And BINGO was his name-o
  4. Gars

Gars TS Booster Posts: 222

me: I WANT $99 TABLET!!!
    HP: this product is discontinued and dead
    me: BUT I MUST HAVE IT FOR $99 !!!1!!ONE
    HP says that they will have more information available in the next few days about whether or not they will have more available and if so, what the details are on the situation.

So, every1 is aware about how HP quitting their pc business.
    Nothing brilliant here. Pure old dirty smelling trick.

At least we get closer to the real cost of the product.
  5. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,729   +1,093

Yeah... everything's a conspiracy. Increase market share before they're discontinued? have you talked to anyone who owns one? They might really suck...
  6. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TS Evangelist Posts: 1,080   +331

I was talking to someone about this earlier today at work as I just ordered the 32GB model for $169 infact half the IT department did.

Someone mentioned to me it would be considered a fire sale and is illegal not to sure on this.
  7. In the milder Australian vernacular, HP could not organize a pissup in a brewery.

They could have sold off their TouchPad stock in an orderly manner, at near-cost price, limiting their losses, instead of the flip-flopping panic they have exhibited.
  8. When did Mr. Magoo take over HP? Nothing about this makes sense! HP, "We sold each $99 tablet at a 2/3 lose so... let's loose some more money by making more of them and selling those at a lose too? We are...well, we think we are... still scrapping the whole billion dollar webOS fiasco so don't get too excited. Oh, btw, we are the number 1 PC maker, but we are getting out of that business too. Still spinning gold out of air with those inkjet cartridges, so we have that going for us."