TechSpot

HP adds 54,000 laptop batteries to year-old recall program

By Matthew
May 21, 2010
  1. Unless you regularly don a Nomex jumpsuit while using your HP notebook, you should probably look into the company's latest recall update. Around this time last year, the computer maker recalled 70,000 laptop batteries after a few reported incidents of units overheating, rupturing, and ultimately catching fire.

Read the whole story

2. seefizzle

seefizzle TS Enthusiast Posts: 124   +23

Lame. My model of laptop is on this recall list but apparently I don't have the right serial number. My battery is completely dead on this thing. It won't hold a charge at all. I have to sit with it plugged in at all times, but I am unwilling to spend 60+ dollars for a new battery. I was really hoping this would be covered under the recall but nope.

3. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,169   +176

Well the recall is for ruptured, flaming death batteries. Not old worn out ones - they all do that and they certainly ain't going to recall for that reason. What can help is knowing what charging strategy helps maintain battery life. Lithium ion batteries like to be charged a certain way and NiCads another. E.g. (I believe) memory on nicads is less if you let them discharge as much as possible before recharging.

4. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

It was for battery models known to rupture or overheat, and that was done by the code on the bottom of the laptop, as well as the code on the battery. HP knows which ones were flawed, and could potentially rupture. A notice was sent to owners who bothered to register their laptop.

5. seefizzle

seefizzle TS Enthusiast Posts: 124   +23

I know WHAT the recall was for. I was just hoping to get a free battery out of it.

6. Ruby01

Ruby01 TS Rookie

Hi seefizzle. Are your notebook is listed under the recall chart? I am going to pull my hair out. I have problem with the bad battery, i can feel the overheating. But i do not see mine (pavollion Dv-4-2110) on the recall list. i called them and they hung up on me after i told the problem. I am so mad and don't know what should i do. I am considering to get universal laptop batteries from sourcingmap for the reason that i am satisfied with their products and service i once did my first online shopping there.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.