HP adds 54,000 laptop batteries to year-old recall program

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Unless you regularly don a Nomex jumpsuit while using your HP notebook, you should probably look into the company's latest recall update. Around this time last year, the computer maker recalled 70,000 laptop batteries after a few reported incidents of units overheating, rupturing, and ultimately catching fire.

The company has now added 54,000 batteries to that list, which were sold with notebooks nationwide from August 2007 through July 2008 for between $500 and $3,000. The expansion was prompted after HP received 38 additional reports of the batteries overheating, causing 11 minor injuries.

The following models were included in the recall dating back to May 14, 2009: HP Pavilion dv2000, dv2500, dv2700, dv6000, dv6500, dv6700, dx6000, dx6500, dx6700, dv9000, dv9500, dv9700, Compaq Presario, A900, C700, F500, F700, V3000, V3500, V3700, V6000, V6500, V6700, HP G6000, and G7000. The following models were added this May 19: HP Compaq 6510b, 6515b, 6710b, 6710s, 6715b, 6715s and 6720s.

HP has more information on current and past recalls here, complete with battery barcodes. Naturally, if your machine is affected, you're eligible for a new battery.

Permalink to story.

Lame. My model of laptop is on this recall list but apparently I don't have the right serial number. My battery is completely dead on this thing. It won't hold a charge at all. I have to sit with it plugged in at all times, but I am unwilling to spend 60+ dollars for a new battery. I was really hoping this would be covered under the recall but nope.

seefizzle said:
Lame. My model of laptop is on this recall list but apparently I don't have the right serial number. My battery is completely dead on this thing. It won't hold a charge at all. I have to sit with it plugged in at all times, but I am unwilling to spend 60+ dollars for a new battery. I was really hoping this would be covered under the recall but nope.
Well the recall is for ruptured, flaming death batteries. Not old worn out ones - they all do that and they certainly ain't going to recall for that reason. What can help is knowing what charging strategy helps maintain battery life. Lithium ion batteries like to be charged a certain way and NiCads another. E.g. (I believe) memory on nicads is less if you let them discharge as much as possible before recharging.

It was for battery models known to rupture or overheat, and that was done by the code on the bottom of the laptop, as well as the code on the battery. HP knows which ones were flawed, and could potentially rupture. A notice was sent to owners who bothered to register their laptop.

Hi seefizzle. Are your notebook is listed under the recall chart? I am going to pull my hair out. I have problem with the bad battery, i can feel the overheating. But i do not see mine (pavollion Dv-4-2110) on the recall list. i called them and they hung up on me after i told the problem. I am so mad and don't know what should i do. I am considering to get universal laptop batteries from sourcingmap for the reason that i am satisfied with their products and service i once did my first online shopping there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back