TechSpot

HP completes Palm acquisition, eyes webOS hardware

By Jos
Jul 1, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hewlett-Packard announced today it has completed its acquisition of Palm at $5.70 a share, or about $1.2 billion. The world's largest PC maker now has a mobile operating system of its own and plans to use it in a wide variety of devices, continuing development of Palm's Pre smartphone line, but also starting work on new slate PCs and netbooks powered by webOS.

Read the whole story
  2. SourDo

SourDo TS Rookie

It's a long shot, but I hope someone high up at HP was a big fan of Palm's Grafiti input system and would like to bring it back to WebOS (for use with a finger). As I understand it, Palm in the end lost the court battles against Xerox regarding Xerox's patent that they were claiming Grafiti violated. But perhaps HP can buy or license that patent. For old-school Grafiti fans like me, Grafiti II just wasn't an adequate replacement for the original Grafiti, and in the end Palm just abandoned that kind of input system.

If HP brings the original Grafiti to webOS devices (and has a decent app store), I would buy them over iPhone or Droid devices just to get back my favorite input system of all time.
  3. fwilliams

fwilliams TS Rookie Posts: 97

just my 2 cents

I wish HP would have just backed Android or Meego instead of trying something that does not seem to have much of a chance. Oh, well. Good luck to them anyway.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.