HP dv6700 issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn2k5

Okay so a while ago my laptop just went bad out of the blue. Ever since then I've been having symptoms. When it died I'm pretty sure that the motherboard was the issue. When I turned it on it just gave me beeps and nothing on the screen. I researched a bit and called HP for an RMA. They sent me a box to ship the laptop back in. Okay fine, but a few days later, and a bit of tinkering (reseated ram, took out HDD and put it back in.) the laptop magically began to work again. But the fingerprint reader was still not working. Then a few days later after that the fingerprint reader began to magically work again on its own too... WTH?

I was like okay whatever so dont fix something thats not broken right? I knew I should of just sent it in so they could do diagnosis, but I was reluctant because I read on the forums that they have horrendously long return times and the advertised 7 day turnaround was often the several month turn around time - with no clue as to where the in world your laptop was.

Alright so now it happened again. My laptop died on me with the beeps; this time it only lasted a few minutes, I reseated the ram and whatnot and waited a while and it worked again. But the fingerprint read is not detected anymore. And I'm afraid this time it isnt magically coming back...

Okay so what do I do? Is there a way to get it to come back? Reinstalling the drivers did nothing. Is there a way to find what is connected to my usb ports? Windows says its there but "not recognized" and tells me to disconnect the USB device and reconnect it. But WTH its built in how am I suppose to do that? Any ideas anyone? I think my motherboard just ****ed up and that may be the reason why its not recognizing the reader... should I just send it in in hopes of getting it back within a few months before my warranty goes up?

PS sorry for the long write... hopefully someone will bother to read it.... x.x

Windows Vista Home
DV6700
T9300 Core 2 Duo 2.5Ghz
4 gb G.Skill Ram
Nvidia 8400GS

That is correct lamo, one long beep and two short. I think when I looked it up it meant that a videocard wasn’t present. Since my videocard is built into my mobo, I think they would have to replace the entire mobo even if it happened that just the videocard was bad.

Well thanks kimsland, I tried the updated drivers but still no luck. I'll just go ahead and try the last thing I can, reformatting the entire hdd to its factory shipped state to eliminate any possibility of it being a software related issue. I'm long overdue for a fresh re-install anyways I've installed and uninstalled too many programs whilst testing. If that doesn't fix it then it'll be sent on its perilous, and hopefully not long, journey to HP.

1 long, 2 short Indicates a video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot initialize the video screen to display any additional information

Usually faulty Video card hardware. ie reinstall Windows won't fix

As the Video is onboard, it may be a faulty motherboard

Shawn2k5 - your videochip is dead. you can replace the MB or replace videochip separately :) but only if you have special soldering equipment.

haha, yea that WAS the problem, but like i said in my first post - for some reason my laptop magically started to work again, ie everything is functional, BUT the fingerprint reader... well thanks anyways :)

Fingerprint reader

i have installed windows vista 64 bit on HP dv6700. now my fingerprint reader dosent work i have installed the driver but there is no software to start nothing happens. windows device manger says device work perfectly. if any one knows how to start or what to put please help me

As far as the fingerprint reader, there needs to be software other than the basic driver (usually) that governs what happens when the reader registers an image of a fingerprint. Look on your manufacturers website, they may have software available there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back