HP fan speed after BIOS update

Status
Not open for further replies.

rev_olie

Hi there

This is just a quick question really. I have a client at work who has a HP laptop. He had some driver problems and sent it to HP. They then flashed the BIOS but ever since then he said the fan has been really noisy.
As i write this i have forgotten the model NO but i know its a laptop.
When i read the BIOS update description it said something about the BIOS will put the fan into a low volume state when the laptop is in use but its like that isn't working.
Does anyone know anything?. It seems to be plastered all over the web and some have cured it with Speed fan etc but they don't seem to work on his PC.
We have looked at cleaning and also adjusting the speed in the BIODS but he says there is no option and unfortunately i can see the BIOS. He said ti was called F.40 if anyone knows.
Any help would be great as we seemed to have tried a lot and other have said about the same thing so if you could suggest anything it would be brilliant.

'Does anyone know anything?.'

Not a lot, really.

BUT, most Bios settings that affect temps/fan speeds are obvious and can be targetted as either AMD or Intel processor management related to heat and cpu activity accompanied with motherboard manufacturer fan control options.

Get the manual - read it.

Well we have looked at the manual and there isn't anything in there about altering the fan speed and temperatures but it seem like a very common problem

From what I can gather, there was a heat deterioration problem with a series of HP AMD based laptops that failed them early and the F.40 Bios update your client has forced the fan to run faster all the time to prevent that failure.

They apparently started tweaking the fans in Bios F.3D.

LoL -NO!

That WAS the fix - either hear the fan roar or face failure.

Many unhappy campers.

all i can say on HP's behalf after reading that is O MY LORD we've done it again. Cheers for the info unfortunately hes not to happy now Ive told him but hey ho maybe next time he will do the right thing and build it himself..that's a point can you actually buy empty laptop cases and components to build a laptop?

There are various articles about this, but it seems you have to start with a 'barebones' kit or similar from someone then add a few components.

I think, unlike Desktops, that is generally a waste of time given the better quality laptops that one can buy these days.

Well we did look at using Speed Fan to control the speed but for some reason however we did it the program just didn't install properly. It missed out the section of the program that actually controlled the speeds at the bottom. Its as if the computer was blocking it somehow eg when i load speed fan on my system there is a small banner that comes out from the toolbar that says its picked up various things. But on his this never happened an when ever you load it on mine it scans for hardware etc but on his it loaded the program straight away...its quite weird

yes it seems that why unless this is a link to the HP BIOS F.40 update as well im not sure eg if the update has restricted 3rd pary controllers or something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back