HP G60-120US rapid beeping

Status
Not open for further replies.

EXCellR8

I was given a HP G60 series laptop and I just want to know if it's fixable before I part it out. When the computer starts up, the screen before POST shows up but then goes black and the laptop just starts beeping. The beeps are in half-second increments and don't stop until I press the power button. I'm thinking it's either the RAM or the graphics adapter, a 8200M. I know it's common for these to overheat and die, so it wouldn't surprise me if that were the case. I also know that the RAM is mismatched (1x1GB+1x2GB), but they are the same speed. If I pull one out the computer does nothing; there's no video at all when it's turned on.

The rapid beeping is usually a major hardware error or failure... can you give us the full model number from the label on the bottom. It could be failed CPU fan, video graphics card, hard drive, or memory. But it is potentially good enough as a laptop to make the repair worth it.

That's what I thought too, especially since it has a 8200m, but I sh** you not I think the battery was just drained... because it seems to be working just fine now. I couldn't find any answers online regarding the beeping, not even on the HP support site, but it's not beeping now and booting normally. The mismatched RAM tested OK and it reads as 3GB in Vista, so I guess that wasn't the cause. The owner already bought another computer but I think I will offer it back to her. She probably won't want it but I think I'll leave out the part where she forgot to charge the battery...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back