HP G61 laptop doesn't boot properly

Good morning Techos!

I was wondering if you guys could lend some help at me regarding the HP g61 laptop.

1. When the pc boots, there are hang ups I experience:
a. At start, I just see a black screen with a small underscore character in the top-left,
b. Starts, sees Hp logo, then boots, and hangs up at windows 7 logo with "Starting Windows" caption.
c. Tests, Start-up tests, run-test, hdd test and memory test in the hardware test but hangs in either of them two.
d. Boots up, sees "Windows Error Recovery Screen" page, and hangs (hangs at 30 sec countdown)

2. I am suspecting that the processor is somewhat damaged already, because I tested the HDD and RAM on my other laptop, it works just fine. Please advise if there are ideas that springs up on your mind. It will be a waste if it will not be resolved. Thank you Techos!!

While the cursor flashes white on black, the system is looking for the boot information.
If you get to "Starting Windows" it found it.

Failures to proceed imply you really need a Recovery or a Repair Install.

Actually I have no problem with the OS mr. jobeard. My actual assumption in that status was the hardware. Tsk, I tried seating the RAM and HDD on the other laptop, and they work fine. Do you think the processor or the motherboard are the subjects of this situation? Thank you mr. jobeard.

Mr. learninmypc, it is not in warranty anymore. It was given to me by my aunt way back in Qatar. I know in the transfer of laptops from a loong way trip may cause the damage, so I presumed that the motherboard or the processor itself might be the cause for the RAM and HDD work fine in my other laptop. I am really troubled by this mr. lerninmypc. Please help me in any way you can offer. Thanks.

Mr. learninmypc, it is not in warranty anymore. It was given to me by my aunt way back in Qatar. I know in the transfer of laptops from a loong way trip may cause the damage, so I presumed that the motherboard or the processor itself might be the cause for the RAM and HDD work fine in my other laptop. I am really troubled by this mr. lerninmypc. Please help me in any way you can offer. Thanks.
I'm sure jobeard or others can help much better than I, but I will if I can. Good luck.:)

Sounds like the Windows install is corrupt by a virus or other type of malware. Can you perform a clean install of Windows? The laptops recovery options may help you do this. Look for things like "factory" restore

Then the OS is not fine as the boot environment is created or repaired via the Repair Install or the Recovery process - - your choice.
You did ask didn't you :)

The HDD is working perfectly mr. jobeard. I tried it in my other laptop. It seems that I just have to scavenge the good parts as the resolution. the main board seems troublesome already. It is hanging up and freezing in a weird way like in booting process, sometimes it proceeds, sometimes don't. Thank you mr. jobeard.

It is hanging up and freezing in a weird way like in booting process, sometimes it proceeds, sometimes don't.
Try the Safe Mode F8 several times. If it will boot reliably then it's likely to be process oriented. If it hangs in S.M., then yes there's a hardware issue.

Hey Benjamin. Given that you tried the HDD and RAM in another system (same type?) and the system boots tells me you have a hardware problem, maybe something as hard to detect as a hairline crack on the MB, especially since the pc was in transit. Did you find out if the system booted normally before it was given to you?. If you power on and go into the BIOS, does the system display the BIOS screen, say for about 5-10 minutes without the system shutting down?. A problem with the CPU/cooler normally will shut the system down to prevent more damage.This sounds like it is a job for the factory who should have all the right equipment to narrow down the problem to the culprit. It might be too expensive if it is the Mobo given that it is out of warranty, so I wouldn't be opening it up looking around and possibly making things worse. I would request factory service and see what they say.

Back