TechSpot

HP hard drive work in new mother board

By jorbo125
Jan 22, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey guys, I've been thinking about building my own computer and I was wondering if my old HP Pavilion hard drive would work in my new pc. I hear alot about having to install windows, but windows is already on my hard drive right?? If I can't use it someone please tell me what I should do... :)

2. AtK SpAdE

AtK SpAdE TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,846

Yes you will have to reinstall Windows, and if you only have a OEM disk, you will have to buy it again as well.

This is because you are changing you motherboard and with that comes a new chipset, etc.

3. jorbo125

jorbo125 TS Rookie Topic Starter

whats an OEM disk? :confused:

4. AtK SpAdE

AtK SpAdE TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,846

When you buy a PC from a big name maker Like Dell, Gateway, HP, E machines etc etc, you do not get a disk copy of windows. You get what is called a OEM (orignal equipment manufacturer) disk, that only has the ability to restore the OS.

It is a dirty little trick that most people are not aware of.

5. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,896

Most OEM or "recovery" disks will not install on a different mobo because the disks checks the bios before install and refuses to instal if the bios shows it is not a mobo from the company that built the computer.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.