HP intros 27" all-in-one Z1 Workstation with Xeon and Quadro parts

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

There are many 27-inch all-in-one desktops available today, but none of them deliver workstation-level performance according to HP. The company will supposedly fill that void with its new Z1 Workstation, the only towerless machine worthy of commanding your office desk. Sarcasm aside, HP's new system does offer beefier hardware than what you'd typically find in AIO solutions -- assuming you have the coin for it.

The Z1 will kick off in April at $1,899 with a Core i3-2120, integrated HD 2000 graphics, 250GB of storage and a DVD writer. However, this scales up to a quad-core Xeon E3-1245 or E3-1280, various Nvidia Quadro GPUs including the Q4000M, up to a 2TB 7,200RPM HDD, 600GB 10,000RPM HDD or 300GB SSD, and a Blu-ray burner (up to two internal 2.5-inch drives and one 3.5-inch drive). All configurations also share:

• A 27-inch 2560x1440 LED-backlit IPS display
  • Up to 32GB of 1600MHz DDR3 ECC RAM
  • An HD 1080p 2.0-megapixel webcam
  • Four USB 2.0 and two USB 3.0 ports
  • Gigabit Ethernet, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 3.0
  • DisplayPort in/out, SPDIF and audio jacks
  • SRS Premium Sound w/ dual-cone speakers
  • One PCIe x16 slot, three miniPCIe slots
  • A choice of wired/wireless keyboard and mouse
  • A selection of various Windows/Linux OSes
  • Dimensions of 23" (H) x 26" (W) x 16.5" (D)

Although the Z1 Workstation is configurable upon ordering, HP has designed the machine so it's easily serviceable with aftermarket components. The system folds back and opens like a suitcase, revealing a tool-less chassis that lets you upgrade the processor, graphics card, memory, storage and seemingly any other component. Cooling is handled by an array of sensor-controlled fans so noise levels are typically around 20dB.

Permalink to story.

"The Z1 will kick off in April at $1,899 with a Core i3-2120, integrated HD 2000 graphics..."

HAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAH *sigh* :/
I guess HP thinks everyone is dumb and would overpay for crap?

Guest said:
"HAHAHAHAHAHAH *sigh* :/

Since you are clearly not one of those "dumb" people, you must realize this is for enterprise customers with a Xeon CPU, ECC memory etc.. etc.. etc.. ?

Rick said:
Guest said:

Since you are clearly not one of those "dumb" people, you must realize this is for enterprise customers with a Xeon CPU, ECC memory etc.. etc.. etc.. ?

Not everyone can notice the obvious Rick.

Rick said:
Guest said:

Only problem is, Xeon has a different socket to the i3. Meaning, it's really really expensive just for the base model.

I gotta agree with the guy above, this system is WAY overpriced for the starting specs. Hell, the iMac starts at $1,699 with WAY better specs (i5, 4gb, 1tb). So what if its an "enterprise" solution, with the way companies are cutting budgets and consolidating, I don't see this product hitting the market in good position...and to get an "enterprise" class system, with a Xeon and more ram, how much is that gonna cost???

No option for Windows Home, and Linux is an available option. Kind of tells me it's not meant for Grand-ma to check her email. I say, let corporate take the first batch of these computers. These look awesome. Once the cost to manufacture it drops the rest of us can get one at a better price for home use.

Those Xeon and Quadro parts are less beefy than their cheaper consumer level counterparts at the same price point.

You gotta spend a lot to get more from the workstation/server level stuff.

Back