HP laptop dv6636nr constantly reboots, right after Window logo

Holliwoodc01

I have a HP Pavilion dv6636nr, AMD Turion 64x2, Vista laptop and it is stuck in a constant reboot cycle. After the window vista logo comes up, after 10 second, it restarts its self. The only way I can use my laptop is in Safe Mode.

In Safe Mode, I've tried -
1. doing a system restore but, none of the restore points will go through.
2. Hitting F8 upon booting up, and booting from the "last know configuration"... Didn't work!
3. Chkdsk (and it will not scan my laptop and its still pending because, I tried the scannow command prompt, and it said so).
4. I've used Norton Security Suite to scan for viruses and nothing came up.
5. updating my Nvidia video driver.. didn't work!

I really need help knowing what is the problem. Have I fried my graphics card, is its driver related, or.....?????

PLEASE HELP.
-Thanks

Being able to boot into Safe Mode points to driver issues. Do the following:

Start > Run > type in Eventvvwr.msc > Okay

Examine the “System” and “Application” logs in Event Viewer for other recent errors that might give further clues. Look especially for Yellow Triangles and Red Xs and note what they flag.

It is late here on the East Coast so I need to hit the sack but perhaps someone else may be able to add advice or if I can I will look at it tomorrow.

Thank you Route44,

I opened the event viewer and I got these messages in both "Application" & "Systems" logs area....

"Event Viewer cannot open the event log or custom view. Verify that Event Log service is running. The request is not supported (50)"

so, I opened Windows Task Manager and that service (Windows Event Log) status is: Started and set to automatic.

I restarted it and tried to look again.... to no avail.

How can I get to the event logs with said error???

>> EDIT: I'm about to Clear and Save each log then.... try to open it, thru saved logs.

I tried to Save and clear the event log for both application and systems... to save it it and possible open it up again.... it will not save and I get this error:

Event viewer could not clear the log. The following error occurred: The parameter is incorrect.

Can someone PLEASE help me start my laptop in normal mode!?!?!

No info in the Event Viewer will come up.... every thing is blank.
When I click on applications & system I get this error msg:
-"Event Viewer cannot open the event log or custom view. Verify that Event Log service is running. The request is not supported (50)"
...But I checked and the service is running.

(I am using safe mode with networking)

*confused*

Back