HP laptop infected

Status
Not open for further replies.

texasrattler

I am currectly trying it remove tons of viruses from a friends laptop. This thing had some of the most crap I have ever seen. This laptop was given to him friend a family member.

I have used Corperate addition of Symantec,Trend Micro's House Call and SDFix.

Can no longer use Symantec due to system ram. It just takes up to much. Weighs computer down.

I have tried some other malware programs. Used SpyDoctor and that helped a little bit but later uninstalled it as it was no longer any use. The computer had a program called Anti MalGuard. Not sure what that was as I simply deleted it. It would not work anyways due to that fact the internet was not working but I got that fixed. I found which virus was causing the net problem and got rid of it, though it did take awhile. I also tried to use Malwarebytes but for some reason that program just hangs on dll files. Tried it like 3 or 4 times and it would start than scan for roughly 10 seconds then just hang on a dll file. I did let it sit there on the dll for like 20 minutes but I figured something was wrong and tried to abort but that would not work. I had to use task manager to close the program. Not sure if it's the viruses causing a problem or the low system ram. The computer does hang from time to time but what is exactly causing it is unknown for now. I would assume the viruses.

All of the above have worked and failed. They worked and got rid of most virus/malware and some they did not get rid of.

My friends computer only has a 9 gb hard drive and only has 190 mb ram so installing things can be tricky with not alot of space and very low ram.

3 malware/spyware are still left on the computer according to Trend Micro's House Call that I have tried but failed to get rid of. House Call cannot get rid of them nor has any info on them. All I got was mainly to contact their support.
These are the 3:
Malware:
TROJ_DLOADER.HAB
TROJ_SCAPUR.C
Spyware:
ADW_PURITYSCA.ED

If anyone knows how to get rid of these 3, I would appreciate it. Been trying for a couple days but so far no luck with these 3.

MBAM still just hangs after I followed advice. Everything was already checked in the settings except terminate explorer so I checked that then ran the scan. Program still hangs 10 seconds into the scan. It just stops on dll files. It's not a particular dll file either. It just stops on a dll file. Is that normal? am I suppose to wait more than 10 minutes on a single file?

I will do SAS and Hijack. I actually ran a Hijack scan and didn't really find anything that would make me believe it's a virus but I will post a new log after SAS scans.

Before posting any logs
Can you run MSConfig, and put it into Diagnostic Mode
Then restart
Then re-run the scan

I just tried SAS and ran into yet another problem. It frooze during the setup wizard. I could use my mouse and everything but could not click on next. Had to shut down and reboot. The program said it could not close because of debugging and said to close the debugger. Have no idea what it is talking about.

The laptop is on Windows 2000, I don't believe it has the ability to use msconfig. I use a special program to access my start ups.

Ok, somehow I got SAS to work. After reboot the program began working. Scanning now.

No go with SAS. It just hangs. It hangs while it was looking searching my mouse pad(touchpad) exe. Have no idea why these programs aren't working.

Yahoo
Actually open IE properties (in Control Panel if you need to)
Then just select Programs - Manage Addons, and go through the list to disable stuff you don't want.

Normally I don't say this mind you
I usually say:

How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES

To use RIES in Internet Explorer 7, follow these steps:

1. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
2. On the Advanced tab, click Reset.
3. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset.
4. When Internet Explorer 7 finishes restoring the default settings, click Close, and then click OK two times.
5. Close Internet Explorer 7. The changes take effect the next time that you open Internet Explorer 7.

Note for users who cannot start Internet Explorer 7 for some reason, use RIES from Internet Options in Control Panel.

Ok cool, will look into those.

Great news, did your xp msconfig and ran in dianostic mode and malwarebytes is kicking some serious, well you get the idea. Finding quite a bit of infected objects. Should I post log or just clean/fix or both?

Found 59 infections. Got them all removed. Lot of trojan vundo and adware mywebsearch and outerinfo.

Will try SAS now.

kimslands,

Thanks for all your help. Never would have got this laptop disinfected if it wasn't for you. I appreciate all your help.

SAS only found some adware cookies which is nothing in most cases. Malwarebytes is awesome. I have found a new program that actually works like it should. I will diffenately recommended Malwarebytes for any an all virus/malware and spyware/adware.

Again, thanks for all your help.

You don't have an anti-virus or Firewall installed

Your last hijackthis log showed an infection still present

You will be back

The laptop is not mine. I am merely trying to save it.

There was aniti virus on there but as I have stated, the system can't handle one because of that fact the there is very little room on the hard drive and very low memory(ram). It just simply makes the computer extremely slow.

The Hijackthis log was old and was not after Malwarebytes the scan. If my posts we read properly you would have saw that. Both Malwarebytes and SAS report no virus/malware or spyware/adware. I won't be back anytime soon. Especially since it's not my laptop. The laptop is now clean and updated according to all programs that I used.

Internet Explorer 7.0 does not work well in Windows 2000 Professional, even with Service Pack 4. Stick with Internet Explorer 6.1, and look for what updates are available for the W2K version.

MBAM MalwareBytes also does not work well with W2KP SP4, nor does HiJack This.

If you are still using Windows 2000 Professional, stay away from WXP software fixes. You do not need them... and they just gum up the works on that limited memory you have.

I don't use the laptop it's not mine. It has Windows 2000. I know it doesn't have anything on it that's new. It couldn't with all those trojans. The trojans actually disabled Windows Update from updating any new patches. I manually updated the system once all traces of the trojans were gone. The person this belongs to only uses it for surfing the web. Mainly his gf using it for yahoo and looking up receipes. Other than that, it's not used much. His gf's family used it before them but other people could have used it and caused all the trojans. I think too many people had access to the laptop. It's a pretty old laptop but it's good enough for what they are doing.

Actually, our tests show that very, very few trojans infect Windows 2000.

How sure are you?

Well I would say I am sure based one the fact that 3 different anti-virus/malware programs found trojans and adware on the laptop. So unless your saying the software of all 3 is wrong in dectecting these files then i'm sure the laptop was infected. Most tests are subject at best, as no test is perfect and cannot account for every possible scenerio. The 3 programs that were used were Symantec Corperate Edition,Trend Micro's House Call and Malwarebytes. Even used SAS as a 4th backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back